Re: Squat Army WAS Re: [Epic] Knights(Lil' bit off topic)

From: Los <los_at_...>
Date: Mon, 09 Feb 1998 12:56:38 -0800

Thane Morgan wrote:

> However, this is still not the same as Wargaming point values; they
> are
> based on a relative combat effectiveness of the whole unit, as opposed
>
> to monetary cost.

WRT Epic, is this really true? Whether based on relative effectiveness
or the cost to trtain and replace troops, it seems to be that Space
marines are "vastly underpriced". Now I have to admit, I am work and
don't have the pont values in front of me, though I do have a netepic
excel dteachment sheet on my computer. An Imperial Guard tactical squad
with Chimera costs 24 points. A space marine tactical Squad with costs
30 points! ( I think a Chimera costs 7 ponis more than a Rhino but can't
make it out here). Given that it takes what 9-10 years to make a Space
Marine between gene-seed implants, years of military training, plus the
live ops they go on as a Scout. These guys don't even have a 2:1
effectiveness over the lowliest of guardsman. Even in terms of
performance, There's not much to show for a decade of training and
enhancement. Space Marines and I.G both move just 10cm, A space marines
does achive a 30% effectiveness bonus in Assault (+2). Both attack with
one die. Both have a +5 to save dr. The marines have a 50cm range vs a
25 cm range. This is in great part due to the fact they are firing
bolters.

So you churn out a number of IG squads vs a few Space Marines squads. I
don't see where this ten years of training and preparation is paying
off. The Marines have nice vehilces and weaposn, and good commanders,
but I'm just looking at relative effectiveness on a squad by squad
basis. Interesting. Of course any really detailed or close look at the
40k universe always leads to some unraveling of logic.

Los