Re: Squat Army WAS Re: [Epic] Knights(Lil' bit off topic)

From: J. Michael Looney <mlooney_at_...>
Date: Mon, 09 Feb 1998 15:18:17 -0600

Los wrote:

> re: twentieth century politics, I completely understand. However I
> think a lot of people on here have never spent a day in the field under a
> rucksack, and often basic questions or ideas are asked or passed
> around about military stuff. Having been one of those that does have a great
> deal of experience in such matters I tend to interject some reality
> confirming or denying things occasionally. I happen to be one that
> believes that the general characteristics or wars and the experience
> of Soldiering has not changed very much in 3-4000 years, nor will it
> change very much in the next 40,000 years. Sure the tools of the trade might
> change, but I think a soldier of today would have more in common with
> a Roman legionaire or a Cadian trooper than he would with 95% of the
> general population.
>
> The trick is of course to keep politics out of it, as you say.

For the record I spent 9 years and 7 months in the US Army. If I had
not trashed my knees I would be 130 days from my 20 year point (as of
2-9-98).

While I was more in "push button warfare" side of the modern military (I
was a RADAR tech for Army Air Defense) I did my share of grunting
about. Like a true moron^h^h^h^h^htroopie I "volunteered" for some
extra training that lead to me humping a Redeye missile around Norway in
February, as well as doing weird things with choppers, rope, and survey
gear for a Patriot battery.
--
Sillyness is the last refuse of the doomed.  P. Opus
http://www.spellbooksoftware.com