Re: [Epic] SM Chaos - wasUncheesy detachments

From: Scott Shupe <shupes_at_...>
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 1998 02:54:35 -0500

Thane Morgan wrote:

> > Hate to point this out to you, but the LoB's not a
> > command unit.
>
> Actually, the rules conflicted on this; after much debate we decided it
> was. In case you missed the joy of this argument:

[argument snipped]

> This is then contradicted by the LOB description which claims first that
> "The greater daemon rules apply in full" in one paragraph and that it
> "must be given charge or advance orders" in the next.

        It also goes on about how the LoB isn't allowed to go on
FF orders, etc. - this is a major part of its character, and it
depends on the LoB needing orders. It's a minor contradiction at
best. I don't remember if this was ever answered or not in the
unofficial Q&As, but even if it wasn't I believe there is a bit
in the description of the Plague Tower that says something like,
"The tower is a GD, but just like the LoB it must be given
orders." Of course, you're free to play it your own way. But
to me, Khorne just ain't Khorne unless it can't go on FF or its
gun is so big that it destroys itself when it fires.

> After comparing its abilities to other titans, we decided that a) Andy,
> Jervis and Rick smoked way to much crack to communicate effectively, and
> b) the LOB was probably intended to be a command unit (for orders
> purposes), because otherwise it was screwed.

        Wimp. =) =) I almost always take the LoB, even with it
needing orders. More fun than a bloodthirster and a heck of a
lot more imposing.

> I believe we found an old white dwarf Q&A which in a rare instance of
> game support answered questions for epic, and it confirmed this.
> However, it is way to irrelevant to my life now for me to go look it up
> again.

        =) The Chaos portion of said Q&As can be found at the
SM/TL side of my webpage. The bit about the LoB in there is
confirming that you can sacrifice cards to save it from damage.

> Anyways, you may have already been through this and come to your own
> conclusion, or maybe got another "official" ruling from one of the
> "brain trust". I've got them to give an "official" ruling allowing two
> units of war dancers to permantly stop a unit from attacking through
> shadows coil, and a friend of mine got them to "officially" rule that
> wounds saved by armor still count for combat resolution (Fantasy
> questions, in both cases, and both entirely wrong. Sometimes, you just
> want to start trouble on a slow gaming day...)

        Their track record with SM/TL was pretty good, actually
(aside from a wrong answer to a stupid question in an early set
of Q's). Allen still has them up on his page, I believe.

Scott Shupe
shupes_at_... shupes@... http://www.rpi.edu/~shupes
"They lie, and we have to be merciful to those who lie..."