Re: [Epic] First Game WAS Re [Epic] Social Gaming

From: Elias Tiliakos <elite_at_...>
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 98 11:14:31 EST

At 08:12 AM 2/11/98 -0500, you wrote:
>In my first game with Elias, he played Orks with no Gargants (I didn't
>tell him not to, of course), and I played Knights (CJ rules) and Titans.

Hehe. This was a good learning game for me. CJ Knights are a pain in the
butt. ALL of them get saves, and though people might say "But that's only
a 50% chance!!", more often than not (with my luck, anyway) they live to
tell another tale.

>I actually expected to get overwhelmed with numbers. Although Knights
>from CJ are powerful and have saves, their points values really reduce
>their numbers, and enough fp will take 'em down.
>
>I actually won that game, and fairly overwhelmingly. But Elias agrees
>that this is because he didn't bring his numbers to bear soon enough.
>The game was over by the time the detachment with Stompas was just
>getting into range. (Elias knows I'm not saying he's incompetent or
>anything. We make a point of learning lessons from a battle, and
>seeing where we could have done better.)

What, you trying to say I'm incompetent or something? :) Yeah, this game
taught me several things, the most important of which is that if you are too
cautious, you don't end up doing much (particularly with large infantry
detachments). I was way too cautious and always tried to assault instead of
marching. The detachment in question (which got to fire once the entire
game) consisted of a lot of boyz, grotz, and nobz, with a warlord stompa
and a bunch of regular stompas. The stompas eventually moved into range
of one of the knight detats, and took out one, if memory serves me
correctly. Other casualties in that game were hordes of my orks and a sentinel
or two. I did almost succeed in taking out one of Andy's Warhounds, though.
Darn Deathrays!! I shot two at a Warhound with no shields, and only hit
with ONE!!! And the critical didn't kill the darn thing, either. Yeesh.

>andy

Elias