Re: [Epic] Re: Insginia

From: Chris Miller <ironstar_at_...>
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 1998 19:49:37 -0600

I'm officially Not Replying to this thread anymore, but this one's brief:

>Just as an afterthought on this subject, many Sci-fi backgrounds do draw
>upon WWII and the Nazis. The Empire in Star Wars, for example.
----------> Lots of stuff other than than them in there. medieval Japan,
medieval theocracies from Europe, bit o' roman empire - just cause the bad
guys wear grey (or black or white) have an evil dictator for a leader, and
call their elite troops "Stormtroopers" doesn't mean they're from 1940's
Germany. Did George Lucas ever _say_ that's what he modelled tham after? I
can see the parallel, but I can see lots of others too.
  And Babylon
>5 draws so many parrells with what happened during that period, right down
>to particular quotes and historical events; the bombing of Coventry & Pearl
>Harbour, Sinclair's ancestors were fighter pilots all the way to the Battle
>of Britain, the Centauri (Germans) oppression of the Narn (Jews).
--------> To keep it brief: The Narns had some kind of empire, as did the
Centauri. They went to war, and one side lost, (and was oppressed by the
victors) - which is quite different than the Germany-Jew thing.

>Because WWII was such a major event in our history, it is not surprising
>that others draw on it when writing sci-fi. There is little reason for us
>not to in our games. Just so long as we all no where we stand and people
do
>not do it for the sole intention of annoying/upsetting others.

---------> And none of the above examples feature _Swastikas_ in any form,
regardless of where the structures/politics/plots came from, which is where
the problem comes from, I believe.

Chris Miller