Re: [Epic] SM Chaos - wasUncheesy detachments

From: Chris Miller <ironstar_at_...>
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 1998 20:50:38 -0600

>> --------> I can certainly see one use for Minotaurs at this point:
>> Bodyguards for the Tarantula Company...
>
> Squats are better if you're playing against Eldar;
>the Mins are useless if you move first (no countercharge),
>while the chaos squat's heavy bolters can rain death on any
>jetbikes foolish enough to engage your stationary guns.
--------->Ah, but you can form a shoulder-to-shoulder line of Minotaurs and
seal off those bikes from getting to the tarantulas sometimes. CSquats were
pretty good, there just weren't enough of them. They were usually guarding
the KhorneCannons down here - and getting butchered by Veterans jumping out
of T-hawks pretty regular, too...man he hated it when I did that...
got to the point where he'd form a square of marines, squats, or whatever
just to stop that initial charge.

>> Titans, of course are best met with other titans, and a Psycannon
>> was hell on titans, especially if you had a friendly pulsar to knock
>> down the shields.
>
> I thought psycannons ignored shields? There's
>certainly something to that effect in the description.
---------> Shields are mentioned in the fluff, but the actual stat line just
mentions "no armor save possible". Psychic save also apply if there is one,
and after they added the "shields grant a psychic save" rule , I think we
went with that. Before, we just said shields block it.

>> As for Chaos marines, they were good, but they were still 50cm
>> range like most other infantry, and against them the save mod didn't
>> matter, and you still had to pay extra for the transport.
>
> Which you could leave at home if you wished, an
>option not available to boring... er I mean loyal marines.
>Plus you could play cards on them...
----------> OK, but how many of your marine units walked? Surely they had
rhinos, raiders or a T-hawk - or a daemon engine of some kind...with loyal
marines, it was only a pain when yo wanted them to use a t-hawk as you just
lost their integral transport with no gain - and heck no I didn't use
scouts - I used assaults or veterans, or occasionally termies with a
chaplain and librarian. (We just figured they gave up the rhinos, too.)

>> -------> Even considering the plague, I always hated the vortex thing
>> the most. Probably because my regular opponent painted his up as
>> Thousand Sons, but even on paper it's just nastier somehow.
>
> Nurgle's Rot is definitely worse than the Tzeentch
>reward, which is really only useful if (1) your opponent has
>some high-priced models in his army
-------> Always.
and (2) you can get close
>enough to throw the vortex.
-------> Thawk'd marines, like the plague boys.
  And even then, there's a good
>change the dang thing doesn't even hit. Meanwhile, a lone
>death guard stand can wipe out gobs of enemy troops and light
>vehicles with no problem.
-------> True, but the Vortex goes _somewhere_, and then it's likely to
stick around for a few turns and move around too. The plague was probably
more effective, it just wasn't a big titan-eating template out there on the
board.

>> Silly me, I started Chaos pretty early on in Space Marine and made
>> mine World Eaters
>
> At least you didn't make them Emporer's Children...
---------> Heh. The only primarch I don't have, though I like the KOS, and
tended to get more out of beast riders than I did out of my much loved
Juggers. Annoying, but I can't complain too much. Both officially dead in
the new version too, natch.

>> > Never saw any of the demon engines with the exception of doom
>> > wings.
>>
>> I used the Khorne, and Scott has debated their +'s & -'s with me before.
>> My friend liked the tzeentch. He got the nurgles toward the end, but we
>> used them very little.
>
> Contagions are useless. Period.
--------> Naturally - so I didn't buy any, and now they look like a decent
unit under the new rules...maybe that's another post...

>> All that tower was was a very slow unshielded
>> target for psychic attacks.
>
> Which doesn't mean much if your opponent doesn't have
>any... Plague Towers are good against everyone but Eldar and
>Nids.
>
>>Never saw the Slaanesh stuff, but it looked
>> too gofy for me anyway. One of the titans was OK, but the knights just
>> looked thrown together to me.
>
> I think they look OK, but I still haven't painted mine
>and really have no conception of what I want to do with them.
>I tend to stay away from them in games because they're so
>pricey and they look so fragile... that piss-poor CAF just
>screams out, "Bike me!"

--------> I nominate the "knights" as the mini which most begs for a
redesign - again I didn't like them before, so I didn't buy any, and now I
could get to like them a lot - stat line is almost a Leman Russ - armor down
1, assault up 1. 3 fp and a 45cm range looks good to me...now if we just get
some decent figures.

>> > Sigh - that was long winded.
>>
>> -------> Now it's longer...
>
> Longer still...