Re: [Epic] SM Chaos - wasUncheesy detachments

From: Scott Shupe <shupes_at_...>
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 1998 22:51:31 -0500

Chris Miller wrote:

> >> --------> I can certainly see one use for Minotaurs at this point:
> >> Bodyguards for the Tarantula Company...
> >
> > Squats are better if you're playing against Eldar;
> >the Mins are useless if you move first (no countercharge),
> >while the chaos squat's heavy bolters can rain death on any
> >jetbikes foolish enough to engage your stationary guns.
>
> --------->Ah, but you can form a shoulder-to-shoulder line of Minotaurs and
> seal off those bikes from getting to the tarantulas sometimes.

        Well, we played that units blocked LOS, so if I
totally surrounded my cannons/whatever with minotaurs, they
wouldn't be able to fire. So I saw the squats as a better
buy since they could shoot the crap out of any jetbikes that
tried the 'mad dash for the arty' trick.

> >> As for Chaos marines, they were good, but they were still 50cm
> >> range like most other infantry, and against them the save mod didn't
> >> matter, and you still had to pay extra for the transport.
> >
> > Which you could leave at home if you wished, an
> >option not available to boring... er I mean loyal marines.
> >Plus you could play cards on them...
>
> ----------> OK, but how many of your marine units walked?

        Generally 1 detachment, sometimes 2, to sit on
objectives on my side of the board and provide covering fire.

        The big plus to Chaos's transports, I guess, is
that the Rhinos could go off and do something useful after
they've delivered their cargo, while the SM ones have to
sit around looking vulnerable. Nothing like having 9+
Rhinos screaming across the board ramming anything in their
way. =)

> Surely they had
> rhinos, raiders or a T-hawk - or a daemon engine of some kind...with loyal
> marines, it was only a pain when yo wanted them to use a t-hawk as you just
> lost their integral transport with no gain

        There was a gain, a rather substantial one - the
detachment's break point stays the same. That's merely
useful when it comes to individual detachments (and who
buys individual detachments of marines, anyway?), but it's
very potent when you're flying in companies. One of my
friends would routinely mount an entire veteran company
in THawks - 19 stands with +4 CAF and morale of 1, flown
into wherever they're needed, and you need to kill *15*
of them in order to get any VPs. Nasty.

>- and heck no I didn't use
> scouts

        Good man. =)

> > Nurgle's Rot is definitely worse than the Tzeentch
> >reward, which is really only useful if (1) your opponent has
> >some high-priced models in his army
> -------> Always.
> and (2) you can get close
> >enough to throw the vortex.
> -------> Thawk'd marines, like the plague boys.

        Firestorms. =) Plus the 'plague boys' have it easier
in that they just have to survive to the end phase; the 1000
sons need to be able to shoot and need LOS to their target.

> > And even then, there's a good
> >change the dang thing doesn't even hit. Meanwhile, a lone
> >death guard stand can wipe out gobs of enemy troops and light
> >vehicles with no problem.
> -------> True, but the Vortex goes _somewhere_,

        Not in my case it doesn't. It also ALWAYS collapses
in the first end phase to come along. Feh.

> > Contagions are useless. Period.
>
> --------> Naturally - so I didn't buy any, and now they look like a decent
> unit under the new rules...maybe that's another post...

        Flamers are another one like that. Useless in SM/TL,
the exact opposite in E40k. You'd think they're doing it
deliberately - evil bastards! =)

Scott Shupe
shupes_at_... shupes@... http://www.rpi.edu/~shupes
"Omigod! The dead have risen and they're voting Republican!" - the
Simpsons