Re: [Epic] Unit Transformations from SM to E40K

From: Thane Morgan <thane_at_...>
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 1998 23:58:26 -0700

Alan E & Carmel J Brain wrote:

> Miller, Chris wrote:
> >
> > This has come up in another thread, but I thought it was worth
> > describing separately:
> >
> > What units did you buy (or not buy) in SM/TL because they just sucked
> > and weren't worth the time,money, or points to take, which are now
> > decent or better in E40K. Also, units which were great before and are
> > now trash - what will never come off the shelf again?
>
> Apart from what's already appeared:
>
> Upgraded:
> Ork DNs are now almost useful, and are heap.
> Pulsa Rockets (Yes, I know that a lot of people swore by them, I found
> them less than useful for the points).
> Squigg Catapults
> Land Raiders, in a big way.
>
> Downgraded:
> Shokk Attack Guns. But now they're cheap enough to buy lots of, so I
> keep them.
> BioTitans, in a big way.
>
> Actually in E40K I find I'm using more, rather than less, of the
> variety.
> --Imperial superheavy tanks are much better now; I always took knight
crusaders after they came out, because they cost less, moved faster and
were much harder to kill.

The Imperator is a hell of a lot better now; before, you never knew if
you 2800 point investement was going average 9 for plasma rolls or 4.
Until we modified their rules, no one played them more than a couple
times as they always died pathetically. If anyone still cares; plasma
rolls were changed to 2d6+3 instead of 2d6; this allowed and imperator
to use all of its firepower on a maximum roll and on a minimum roll it
could still move, fire and keep its void shields up (if I were a
Priceps, I'd make damn sure we had stored up plasma LONG before the
battle, instead starting from zip at the begining of the battle ("Sir,
the Ork Horde is only a mile away": "Give them another 2000 yards, then
try to turn her over"))

The dominatrix is a lot weaker, though she was underpriced in the old
game.

Bikes are weaker, as they used to have higher CC's.

Warlords are stronger, as they used to die on the first hit after the
void shields came down ("We need to lighten this titan a bit; I know,
lets remove some of the armor around the plasma reactor!") Although on
one night, I delivered about 12 body blows with a landraider company to
a warlord titan, and my opponent made the armor save everytime.

Most of the light artillery peices are more effective now.

Hell hounds and vindicators are mere shadows of their previous
incarnations.

Demon engines of Khorne are much weaker. Greater demons are much weaker.

All Dreadnoughts seem much stronger, though I still don't use them much
(I wish you could make detatchments focuses on them).

Manticores are way cooler.

(I'd say IMHO, but we all know better by now.)

Thane