Re: [Epic] That's it!

From: Thane Morgan <thane_at_...>
Date: Sun, 15 Feb 1998 01:47:55 -0700

Los wrote:

> Geez I'm sorry all Epic list people, who like me, are hoping this thread about
> Nazis will die off but I can't let this ignorance go another minute. Bloodaxe, if
> you are a LT in the Marines than the standard of education in the Corps must have
> sunk to the lowest level in history.
>
> Rommel did not want to have the Panzer divisions in trenches or on the shore.
> Anyone with a rudimentary knowledge of military history ought to know this. The
> tussel between Oberkommado Wehrmacht (Army high command under Hitler) and Rommel
> as CinC West was forward deploying and releasing operational control of the
> Panzer divisions to Rommel as soon as the Allies landed. The most vulnerable time
> for any bridgehead is always when it is first established. This is also when you
> are supposed to counter attack it. OKW had the Panzer divisions stationed so far
> to the rear that they would be decimated during transit from these rear staging
> areas to the front. Allied Air, interdicting roadways and railways to the front,
> attritted the panzer units heavily and ensured they would not have the strength
> to defeat the allies. Hitler belived the invasion was a diversion from a real
> allied attack in Calais. At this point he was trying to micromanage the war from
> his office.
>
> Rommel wanted the divisions forward deployed and released to his control so he
> could counterattack the bridghead on the first or second day. Once the Allies
> were firmly ashore there was no way they were getting kicked off. There were many
> units that survived the allied armada's bombardment, even those right on the
> shore. (remember Bloody Omaha?) As it was two divisions were 12SS and 21st panzer
> were able to counterattack witin 24 hours and wrecked much havoc, but without a
> coordinated massed counterattack, the allies were on the beach to stay.
>
> Rommel is universally accepted as one of history's brilliant commanders. If you
> are going to start rattling on about WW2 history go to the base library and pick
> up something to read. So far everything you've said about WW2 has been pretty
> much off the mark. There's no excuse for that ignorance ESPECIALLY if you are a
> military officer. (Which I find hard to believe based on the childish remarks you
> pass around on this board with regularity). if youa re in the military then
> judging by your conduct you must be a private E2.
>
> Los
>
> P.S> Sorry everybody!

I'm impressed you've held back this long. I think he's a kid, maybe 14,
with an older brother in the services. Like when you here about all of
the barely pubescient boys in the chat rooms, pretending they're girls
and getting lonely yuppies to talk dirty to them. Hell, we could be the
first adults to pay any attention to him in years. He got my attention
once, but it's time to just ignore his messages from now on. Maybe he'll

Thane