RE: [Epic] [Fwd: War Engine Names]

From: Miller, Chris <CMiller_at_...>
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 1998 09:13:31 -0600

> > and the same and I have no idea if they even had a number),
> "Yorktown",
> > "Bismarck", "Hood", "Victory", "Mars", etc.
>
> 'Hood' should be reserved for the SHV that tends to explode
> impressively
> the first time anything is fired at it ......... (sounds like my
> scorpions)...
> JAC

---------> We keep running across some particular interests of mine on
the list, so here are some decent sites on this topic:
http://www.uss-salem.org/navhist/
this one has ship lists - names numbers, etc

http://www.uss-salem.org/
this is the main page, with other neat things

http://sunsite.unc.edu/hyperwar/USN/ships/ships-bb.html
this has U.S. BB info , and other stuff as well - just recently found
it...

http://home.pacbell.net/lmsjr/navyhome.html
this one is US navy focussed also and gets a little gung-ho at times,
but has plenty of detail.

In general, US names tend to be named for places & people in the US, so
you may have to work up a reason why your titan is named "Nevada",
though I did start calling my Warhounds "Wasp" & "Hornet" at one
point...

Aircraft names may be good also "Intruder", "Avenger" etc.

The UK used a lot of mythological names and generally cool sounding
names for both cruisers & BB's, so you may get more mileage out of them
- "Ajax", "Achilles", "Iron Duke", "Black Prince", etc.

The Italian navy had some interesting names also.

Japaneese names, of course, can sound pretty slick, especially with
appropriate banners.
Imagine the Imperator titan 'Musashi"...there we go: Legio Nihon...
'Course then it has to face the Mega-Gargant "Gojira"...

Ok, Now _I_ have a themed Guard/Titan Legion army. Where are those
knights...and has anyone tried putting a headband on one?

Chris Miller
'