RE: [Epic] [off topic] WW2 tactic/strategy

From: Miller, Chris <CMiller_at_...>
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 1998 10:27:01 -0600

> > PS Erwin Rommel was neither in the SS or a Nazi, he was a Wehrmacht
> Field
> > Marshal who eventually saw the light about Hitler. IMHO, the
> Germans lost
> > the war mainly due to people of this calibre being killed by the
> Nazis!!
> > How much longer would WW2 have lasted if Rommel was alive and in
> charge??
>
> Rommel could not have saved the war in africa. That was won by allied
> navy
> cutting off german supplies.
>

> DV

        ---------> I think he was referring to the war in general. I'd
say Rommel prolonged the African front far beyond where it would have
stopped otherwise under many leaders. The lengthening referred to above
was probably referring to what he would have done in Europe after D-day
if he had 1) remained alive and in command, and 2) been given actual
control over his command without having to OK everything with higher
ups.
            As an aside, the earlier "traitor" thread was just
laughable. Don't position the reserves up near the front because of a
_sea_ bombardment? BB guns only range about 25 miles, Cruisers even
less. That's a couple hours travel time at most if you position your
forces out of range. By positioning them 100 miles + inland, you give
allied air power a whole day or more to blow them off the roads and into
scrap. Which is pretty much what happened for the rest of the war.
            And in general: Rommel was an idiot and a traitor, Germany
was ruled by a misunderstood genius who was also a WW1 hero, and the
concentration camps were a propaganda device cooked up by the
allies/jews/martians.
           Well, I must say, you learn a lot of new things on this list.

           Apparently all those history books were wrong. And all those
people.
           Gosh, someone should tell everyone. Why haven't we heard this
before?
           Oh wait. We have.

           Chris Miller