RE: [Epic] re: americans in sweden

From: Miller, Chris <CMiller_at_...>
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 1998 10:48:46 -0600

-------> Many are.
> (America is the
> world why bother about what's outside the borders in America we have
> all the
> biggest burgers in the world, the best cars in the world
---------> Well, go to Europe and you see McDonald's , Cokes , and
Fords. There are differences, of course, but a lot of America has leaked
out into other countries. Some has leaked back in, but I think more has
gone out than in.
> , the strongest
> military in the world and by the way is there any real proof that
> there is
> anything beyond the borders)
        ---------> Also remember that for many Americans, another
_state_ is a long way away, much less another country. I live in a
border state, and it's at least 6 hours to the border. I believe for
much of Europe, it's a lot less. It's a lot easier to deal with the
concept of another country when it's that much closer. Also for much of
the population, the nearest other country is Canada, which doesn't
really count : ) - they look the same, speak the same language (except
for those rebel Quebecois) and don't even have an accent (mostly). With
oceans on either side, only two countries really bordered by us, it's
easy to ignore everyone else unless it pokes into ytour everyday life,
say with your job.

> This is somewhat confirmed by the two Americans that I have met and by
> the
> fact that my sister studies in USA.
>
> To make sure that I don't offend anyone I must ad that I do not in any
> way
> claim the we in Sweden are better in any way.
>
> /staffan

---------> I haven't met anyone from Sweden, AFAIK, so any impressions
we get are usually based largely on TV and movies, whether it's the
Olympics or James Bond films...
    You would find that most Americans who have travelled abroad have
mostly good things to say about other countries when they return,
whether it's about food, government, the people, or how clean the
restrooms were. We're always looking for examples. When that kid got
caned in Singapore for spray painting cars, half the population was
ready to implement caning as a form of punishment here. Being the
"Melting pot" has it's difficulties of course, but it has good points as
well. Works for me so far ...

Chris Miller