RE: [Epic] Eldar commanders

From: Miller, Chris <CMiller_at_...>
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 1998 10:50:45 -0600

> > >Wait a minute, the Marine one [support weapon] ISN'T Stubborn.
> >
> > ----------> Ah - at first glance it would appear so, but:
> > Battles Book pg 112
> > "Stubborn"
> > "...but note that all Space Marine units are stubborn, not just the
> > infantry."
> >
> I assume that note refers to the vehicles ('not just the infantry').
> There is a similar note on the vehicle summary. However, every
> infantry
> unit EXCEPT support weapons has the Stubborn ability. To put it
> another
> way, all Marine units get Stubborn; the Support Weapons are run by
> Servitors and thus don't get Stubborn. That's my interpretation.
>
> Max

--------> Well, I suppose you can interpret anything however you want,
but I don't know how much clearer they can get than "all space marine
units are stubborn" - I wouldn't think that "all" meant "everything
except support weapons".
    Also, by excepting the support weapons , you get the ridiculous
situation where, by taking them, a marine detachment loses its stubborn
ability, as was pointed out initially. They don't list stubborn on the
vehicle profiles either, but this rule adds it in.
   Thirdly, there are no servitor mini's, so you're going to tell me
that my thudd gun with 2 marines standing next to it is really crewed by
servitors and thus not stubborn? I think not.
    Finally, I assume the servitor idea comes from WH40K, but that's
kind of foggy now - my mole mortar came with 2 marines. The GW online
store has a pretty comprehensive list&pics of space marines, and they
don't have any of the support weapons at all. Also, I believe servitors
are immune to psychology, and that certainly should cover the stubborn
concept.

In conclusion, if we line up on a table and someone starts trying to
tell me the marines aren't stubborn because 2 or 3 of these guys out of
20 or more don't list it, even though there's a rule clearly stating
"All", I'm going to say that if you want to call it that way, I'll just
replace the unit with all land raiders and add an IG section with
numerous vortexes... : )

Chris Miller