Re: [Epic] Unit Transformations from SM to E40K

From: J. Michael Looney <mlooney_at_...>
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 1998 08:15:38 -0600

Thane Morgan wrote:

> > > Bombard shells should be able to crack open a titan without
> > > much trouble; manticore rockets should not - and yet their
> > > stats are the same in E40k (and neither of them are good
> > > against titans or WEs).
> >
> > This is a great place for a special rule, though. I think GW only
> > thought about the indirect fire/HE side of things. Allow artillery
> > fire direct if it has line of sight. Consider them to be using AP
> > shells. Heavy arty gets one AT shot at half normal range. Siege
> arty
> > gets two AT shots at half normal range. Sound reasonable?
>
> I never liked the manticore rules in TL. They had great range, but
> were
> only usefull against infantry and were slow to fire to boot. I never
> understood why four missiles twice the length of rhinos were unable to
> penetrate armor.
>
> Thane

Because the missle was not what hit the target. It exploded and the
fragments are what hit the target. Stopping shell fragments is what
tanks and APC armor is MADE to do. All of this assumes that GW has some
clue about how missle artillery works in IRL.

--
Sillyness is the last refuse of the doomed.  P. Opus
http://www.spellbooksoftware.com