Re: [Epic] IG - Stormtroopers! - Long Reply

From: COOK MATTHEW JOHN <PBS4661_at_...>
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 1998 15:32:15 +0000

The idea of this sounds very similar to Death Company for Blood
Angels.
Maybe could do similar kind of rules ie amount of units determined by
amount of points of even detachments of other IG available.
There would have to be minimum possible size but that would seem fair
enough with the Imperium only risking their finest Guard detachments
on important missions and then only as support.

> Not long after Empire was released, Airfix in the UK, under licence from
> MPC in the US released a Hoth Battle Scene which included Epic scale
> Snowtroopers, Rebel Infantry, Tauntaun riders, Snowspeeders, AT ATs, a
> crude AT ST, an X Wing (Wings closed - can be easily converted to a Z95
> for all you X-wing,Tie Fighter fans), Laser Turrets and a vac-formed base
> with trenches and the rebel generators on.
> They also did a hanger scene from Hoth with similar stuff. These figures
> are ideal for Epic Star Wars.
>
> To get back to the original point of this thread - Stormtroopers for IG. I have
> a 40K IG army (duck) and I've got a Stormtrooper squad. As has been said
> the main difference is that they have 'hot shot' lasguns which have a
> higher damage potential than ordinary lasguns, so they are equivalent to
> bolters. They also come in squads of ten, not six as someone mentioned
> today - the 40K models have 6 standard plastic troopers to a box, but a
> squad also needs a Sergeant and a special weapon (flamer/plasma gun)
> and a heavy weapons team (heavy bolter/autocannon). This makeup is
> the same as a normal IG squad for all you non 40K players. The main
> difference is the hotshot lasgun. They also have slightly better morale (8 on
> 2D6 as opposed to 7).
> The most notable difference comes with the veteran abilities available to
> 40K IG squads. The 40K IG codex allows _any_ IG squad the option to
> buy a veteran ability. Stormtroopers have to buy a _veteran_ ability.
> Some of these abilities could be represented in E40K terms.
> Stubborn is a good one because it the 40K ability allows them to re roll
> failed morale checks. You could give them assault, as several of their
> abilities allow them to increase close combat. One ability, Street Fighters
> IIRC, allows them to increase cover modifiers so you could invent an ability
> which increases their armour from 3 to 4. Another skill is the Dead Eye
> Shots ability, this allows veterans to fire an reroll any dice that miss, when
> firing - as in overwatch. The most devestating though is Slick Crew, which
> can only be used by Hvy Weapons teams. If they hit, they can fire an
> additional shot. This could be simulated by giving the rapid fire skill to any
> IG Heavy squads, (Shudder).
> For those of you that don't play IG in 40K a IG heavy squad now consists
> of three hvy weapons teams. That is six guys in total. If an IG hvy wpns
> trooper is killed in 40K his loader automatically picks up the heavy weapon
> and may continue firing. So picture this - all the IG infantry facing you are
> hvy wpns teams, with rapid fire _and_ the save ability. I guess I ought to
> stick to Epic unless I want to have that dairy aroma.
> And for those of you who can't believe what they are reading, read a 40K
> IG codex one day, it's all horribly true.

This sounds cool and could be done in some form.
Have basic IG troops plus different upgrades available.
You have to take at least one upgrade per unit.
This may make things a little difficult to distinguish - o that squad
is stuborn while that one has rapid fire etc but I'm sure if you like
the idea that much can figure out a way.

> And for those true believers who still play SM/TL - I converted up a
> Stormtrooper company- 15 stands in 3 detachments of 5, with 2 command
> stands and a Chimera, same stats as normal Tacticals except that they
> have a CAF of +1 and a morale of 3. To make the Stormtroopers I added a
> small rectangle of plasticard and a cut down flagpole to the back of each
> old style IG trooper, if you file the helmets down a little they look like the
> berets Stormtroopers wear.

Sounds cool.

> Krass
> Yes, I am insane, but like Mr Pinson says in his tag, it's fun.

If to be normal is to be sane, what is normal? Normal cannot be
diefined therefore everyone is insane - especially this logic!

         *** M J COOK ***
AKA: Ghaz,Ghazgkull,Mat,Sparrow,Cookie,Walter Tatum,
     Alberto Giovanni,Damien Black,Joshua,Dct Strank
     Peter Jones & some I can't remember!