[Epic] IG - Stormtroopers! - Long Reply

From: <CLL_at_...>
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 1998 14:50:29 +0000

Getting close to Space Marines now, aren't we? It would be interesting to
convert a Star Wars army to Epic stats and fight a inter-galactic battle. Are
there any 6mm/1:285 scale Star Wars figures?

Regards,

- Erik

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Yes there are.
Not long after Empire was released, Airfix in the UK, under licence from
MPC in the US released a Hoth Battle Scene which included Epic scale
Snowtroopers, Rebel Infantry, Tauntaun riders, Snowspeeders, AT ATs, a
crude AT ST, an X Wing (Wings closed - can be easily converted to a Z95
for all you X-wing,Tie Fighter fans), Laser Turrets and a vac-formed base
with trenches and the rebel generators on.
 They also did a hanger scene from Hoth with similar stuff. These figures
are ideal for Epic Star Wars.

To get back to the original point of this thread - Stormtroopers for IG. I have
a 40K IG army (duck) and I've got a Stormtrooper squad. As has been said
the main difference is that they have 'hot shot' lasguns which have a
higher damage potential than ordinary lasguns, so they are equivalent to
bolters. They also come in squads of ten, not six as someone mentioned
today - the 40K models have 6 standard plastic troopers to a box, but a
squad also needs a Sergeant and a special weapon (flamer/plasma gun)
and a heavy weapons team (heavy bolter/autocannon). This makeup is
the same as a normal IG squad for all you non 40K players. The main
difference is the hotshot lasgun. They also have slightly better morale (8 on
2D6 as opposed to 7).
  The most notable difference comes with the veteran abilities available to
40K IG squads. The 40K IG codex allows _any_ IG squad the option to
buy a veteran ability. Stormtroopers have to buy a _veteran_ ability.
Some of these abilities could be represented in E40K terms.
Stubborn is a good one because it the 40K ability allows them to re roll
failed morale checks. You could give them assault, as several of their
abilities allow them to increase close combat. One ability, Street Fighters
IIRC, allows them to increase cover modifiers so you could invent an ability
which increases their armour from 3 to 4. Another skill is the Dead Eye
Shots ability, this allows veterans to fire an reroll any dice that miss, when
firing - as in overwatch. The most devestating though is Slick Crew, which
can only be used by Hvy Weapons teams. If they hit, they can fire an
additional shot. This could be simulated by giving the rapid fire skill to any
IG Heavy squads, (Shudder).
  For those of you that don't play IG in 40K a IG heavy squad now consists
of three hvy weapons teams. That is six guys in total. If an IG hvy wpns
trooper is killed in 40K his loader automatically picks up the heavy weapon
and may continue firing. So picture this - all the IG infantry facing you are
hvy wpns teams, with rapid fire _and_ the save ability. I guess I ought to
stick to Epic unless I want to have that dairy aroma.
  And for those of you who can't believe what they are reading, read a 40K
IG codex one day, it's all horribly true.

And for those true believers who still play SM/TL - I converted up a
Stormtrooper company- 15 stands in 3 detachments of 5, with 2 command
stands and a Chimera, same stats as normal Tacticals except that they
have a CAF of +1 and a morale of 3. To make the Stormtroopers I added a
small rectangle of plasticard and a cut down flagpole to the back of each
old style IG trooper, if you file the helmets down a little they look like the
berets Stormtroopers wear.

Krass
Yes, I am insane, but like Mr Pinson says in his tag, it's fun.