Re: [Epic] Epic 40k Star Wars Imperials Stats

From: Erik Rutins <snowdo1_at_...>
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 1998 03:09:20 -0500

Francois,

> I suppose that you forgot the Infiltrator competence for these scouts

Quite true, they should definitely have that ability.

> I would also allow them an upgrade in motojet :
> Mvt : 40cm, Range : 15cm, FP : 1, Armor : 4+, skimmer, infiltrator

The 'motojet' or 'speeder bike' is the first one listed in the Vehicles
section and would be available as an upgrade in the army list. If you
get some time, feel free to put this in a more formal Epic 40k Army List
format with detachment construction rules, etc. The Imperial Sourcebook
has fairly detailed TO&E information.

> I don't agree with your version of the Royal Guard, I think that this
> closer to their incridible competences :
> Royal Guard 10cm 30cm 1FP 2 4+ Hero, Stubborn, Rapid Fire

Well, the thing is the Royal Guard don't have true ranged weapons. They
have a force pike which is intended for hand to hand. Hence, the high
assault but low short range firepower (intended only for firefights,
really, I imagined the force pike could emit a point blank burst of
energy). Also, their armor is better than Storm Troopers AFAIK, hence
the 5+. 4+/Save works well too but I wonder if they should really be
'Heroes'.

> Do you really think that Zero-G Troopers can be involved in ground
> It's too bad, they would have made perfect terminator-like units...

Well, they also deploy them onto worlds with little or no atmosphere or
extremely harsh climates. (Can you say Chaos world? :-) And yep, they
are definitely terminator-like.

> I think that this unit should be a close support one : with this
> one single pilot has the fire power of a squad.

Sounds good and fits the description.

> Where did you find these units? From the Hell Hammers?

In the sourcebook. I wish I could find the true 'tanks' such as the
Hammers use.

> I like these WE stats but don't you think that there damage capacity
> little too high? Of course they don't have shields but they can be
> than the titans.

It's partly an effort to model how tough they appear in the Star Wars
universe. With a lower DC most of them would be destroyed a bit too
quickly on an Epic 40k battlefield, IMHO.

> And it is very good Erik! I think that we can make a satisfying
> army by using your work!
> What do you suggest for the figs?

I'm looking for that Airfix kit. In the meantime...

> Stormtroopers : Space Marines painted in white and black

Absolutely.

> Standard Imperial soldiers : Imperial Guards painted in black

And grey with black helmets.

> Royal Guard : Space Marines?

Works well enough. Have to be painted crimson - converted valhallan IG
might work too.

> Hoverscout : Wave Serpent
> Command Speeder : Falcon
> Mbl Cmd Base : Leviathan
> Floating Fortress : one the Vaul Engines

The Fortress actually looks very inelegant. Kind of a floating armed
and armoured brick 2/3 the size of an AT-AT.

> AT-AT : Micro Machine fig
> Speeder Bikes : Eldar Jet Bikes
> Etc...
>
> Well, there is a lot of work but it's very interesting! :o)

Agreed. I'll definitely continue to delve into this side of potential
Epic conflicts...

Regards,

- Erik