Re: [Epic] Tactical Hint : Orks vs Artillery

From: Alan E & Carmel J Brain <aebrain_at_...>
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 1998 19:06:26 +1000

Sean Robert Smith wrote:

> Some one on the list, I can't remember who, recently argued that artillery
> is not the worth expense, except for the odd two or three pieces.
-->8--
> What this argument didn't take into account is the advantages of artillery,
> which are as follows:
-->8--
> 1) Artillery, because of its greater range and being able to fire at units
> which are out of LOS, can fire at targets which other units can't.
-->8--
> 6) The threat of artillery will force the enemy to deploy his units in
> spread out formations.

And a lot of other stuff, all of which I agree with.

The question arises then, assuming you are playing Orks, what do you do?
Right at the back of the enemy line is a whole slab of Siege
Artillery.....

Some hints, especially relevant to the larger games:

a) Bite the bullet, and don't worry about dispersion. Sure, this means
he gets 6 or even 8 per gun, rather than 2-4. So one unit gets vaped.
C'est la Guerre. If you disperse, Orks just don't have enough FP to
ensure that an assault gets in. They're cheap, but in FP per cm BREADTH
of table, not great. You must concentrate.

this means...

b) Once you get within range of the Arty, you may as well March. The
unit that gets hit by the artillery will be toast anyway, but only the
rare IG player will allocate 1 siege weapon per Ork unit to thin 'em
out. Most of the rest will take great joy in totally wiping out a
detachment (which will only lose you 3 BMs worth of VPs, plus the unit
cost). But if you're marching, and on Battlewagons, you're 75cm closer.
Another turn, and it's 150cm, and you should worry about being hit by
his Main Line of Resistance.

c) By all means form up in a succession of lines outside of his Heavy
Artillery Range (it's unlikely you'll be outside the siege stuff). THEN
march. Or Assault. Why Assault? Well, you move AFTER firing, so you move
0cm in the normal move, and 25cm after all firing. Get's you 25cm
closer, and hey, you may be able to get away with Assault rather than
March after that...

d) If he's silly enough not to put lots of cheap infantry ( 10cm snap
fire...) around his artillery, plus whatever Hydrae he can get his hands
on, by all means use Air Attack if he is low on Airpower.

e) Remember that you have Bikes. And Buggies. If he leaves a gap
anywhere, by all means march your stuff - that's a 105cm move. This
means that in the second turn, bikes can effectively shoot at stuff
185cm away from where they started ( 105cm + next move normal of 35cm +
range of 45cm). With a bit of luck, the bikes will be within the minimum
range of some of his stuff...

FINALLY: Remember that in some scenarios, even Orks can use Drop Pods.

--
 abrain_at_...  o OO*O^^^^O*OO o oo     oo oo     oo