Re: [Epic] Tactical Hint (the benefits of artillery)

From: Aaron <akkala_at_...>
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 1998 09:17:30 -0600

Sean Robert Smith wrote:
> Some one on the list,

That would be me :)

>I can't remember who, recently argued that artillery
> is not the worth expense, except for the odd two or three pieces. Their
> argument was that you can normally only get two units under barrage
> template and that 41 points (the cost of a IG heavy artillery piece) was to
> much pay for 2 fp (I normally get 3 units under a template). 1 Space marine
> squad costs 30 points and you get 6 fp, while 2 IG squads costs 28 points
> and you get 4 fp.
>
> What this argument didn't take into account is the advantages of artillery,
> which are as follows: ...

Sure its keen to be able to attack units from far away, but because of
the way blast markers work, its usually best to hit one detachment
really hard before switching to another one. Normally, the detachment
I've targeted is one close to the rest of my army and I can do more
damage with some 45cm range troops than I could with extra artillery.
I'm not saying you shouldn't use them (being an all IG player, I do) but
I would think real hard before I spent more than say 20% of my points on
artillery (I use 15%). I'm not a big fan of Bombards, the not shooting
every turn thing really bothers me.

                                               -- Aaron Day