[Epic] Epic 40K Minis

From: Lee Scott <scottl_at_...>
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 1997 21:58:34 -0700 (MST)

Hi all
   I was at Genghis Con this weekend in Denver, CO, and I had a chance to
look at some of the mini's that will be coming out for the new game. Here
are my impressions:

   Plastic Ork sprue: This was very nice looking. The sprue was as wide
as the current (old?) ones, but about three or four times longer. The top
two rows were the basic orcs and the little dude with the missile launcher
from the ork invasion box. There were bikes, buggies, and lots of other
figs on there. There was a stormboyz figure that looks very much like a
40K one, with the backpack and all. A couple of different gretchen, and
lots of the special folks like painboyz and meks. There was also a
stomper on this sprue, looked pretty much the same to me. Also Shokk
attack gun, and there may have been a dread. Don't remember all of what
was there.

   Ork vehicle sprue: This is the old plastic bonebreaka body sprue, the
same one that came with most of the new minis from just after TL. To go
with this is another sprue, with several different tops and fronts,
including bonebreaka and gutrippa. The Outrider (who sounded like a total
idiot to me) said that that was because they are all just "battlewagons"
now. This, if true, will piss me off.

   Marine plastic sprue: About the same size as the ork one, I didn't
look at it as closly. It had four bikes, and five terminators on it.
Lots of special looking figs, like techmarine, librarian, and several
others.

   Marine vehicle sprue: Several (I think six) rhinos that we all know
and love. The new Land Raider, which looks pretty cool. Plastic
Whirlwinds, and I believe one other type.

   Ruins: These were made of cheap plastic, not well made at all. Very
thin, not very tall. They did not impress me at all.

 Misc. other stuff:

   Bases seemed to have the holes unevenly spaced, and I think it varied
from stand to stand. Attached to base sprue was some really small ruins.

   Thunderhawk Gunship: This is at least _twice_ as big as the current
one. Looks about the same, a bit more detail, but otherwise the same.

   Super-Heavies: I didn't get an ID on them, but there were several
tanks that the outrider called as imperial SHV's. They were, if anything,
smaller then the current ones.

   Eldar Falcon Grav tank: This was a pewter figure, very small. About
half the length of the current one, it was curved, with the front looking
like a big claw or something. Split in the front with two points, left
and right of center. Not a very good description, but I thought it was
ugly.

    Imperial chimeras: There were what looked like three mini's in this
blister pack (none of the packs were labeled, btw), and it looked like you
could build it as you liked. Didn't look real close, but there was a lot
of detail on them.

    Imperial Basilisk: Or whatever the one with the big gun on it is.
There were two in the blister, and they were about twice the size of the
old ones. Again, lots of detail.

   Well, that is all that I remember right now. If you have questions,
I'll be happy to answer the ones that I can for you. And remember, all of
the above was written the day after the con, and is, as usual, IMHO.

    -Lee Scott
scottl_at_... or
scottl_at_...