Re: [Epic] WW2 with EPIC

From: J. Michael Looney <mlooney_at_...>
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 1998 11:36:26 -0600

Mike Bowen wrote:

> > > J. Michael Looney wrote:
> > Lack of good vision ports, lack of variable speed turet traverse. Note
> > that when I said "Allied" I should have said "American or English". The
> > Russian tanks were even worse off than the German.
>
> eh? Didn't the MkIII and MKIV have electric motor assist? No disagree on
> the tiger class, though. The one sherman I saw close up did not impress me
> with the outside vision at all, being buttoned up. Even less impressed
> with modern russian stuff.
>
> So maybe say once the tank detachment has any BM's, say that they are
> "buttoned up" and need to pass a morale check to use full FP versus nearby
> infantry. or something. or reduce assault value.

Notice I said "Variable speed". The German tanks had a problems that
their power assist was single speed. Made for problems at close range.
Tractics is the only rule set that made a big deal about it, but it is a
known problem with the German tanks.

All AFV have problems with vision. The best, in W.W.II, was the UK,
followed by the US, then Italy, German, Japan France and the USSR, in
that order. CD III even has a "ST" designator for bad vision/single
crew turrets etc. problems. (ST stands for either "Small Turret" or
"Sh*ty Turret" depending on the tank, at least according to Frank
Chadwicks, the game designer.