Re: [Epic] Net Epic: Close combat

From: nethol <nethol_at_...>
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 1997 13:41:20 +0200

> >>THIS WEEKS TOPIC IS THE COMBAT PHASE
> >>MAINLY:CLOSE COMBAT AND THE PINNING RULES
> >
> > OK situation: A Warlord titan on FF orders, is cc by 10 infantry
stands.

> First thing first...
> You can't fit more than about 7 infantry stands around a titan's feet so
> unless the infantry are jump troops (so that contacting the titan's base
is
> sufficient to get "multple attacker bonus") the remaining three stands
are
> wasted (in every sense of the word) as the titan rolls 2d6+12 (or even
more)
> against each of the stands in contact with its base but not in contact
with
> its feet...
>
> >The titan gets some help from the aid of 10 bikes. Now in this
situation, the Player
> >with the titan ...
>
> That's a bit harsh. I would allow titan to FF on any infantry in CC with
it
> even if the infantry is also in CC with friendly bikes...

Right. We used to do it the same way.
However, don't forget that we've now agreed to have snap fire *instead of*
defensive fire (do I remember correctly?), so the titan, and everybody else
within range, can SF to the infantry, but there will be no pre-CC FF.

> >So the way to resolve this is to fight the CC between the bikes and the
infantry first, then,

> This is not true in my understanding... You get extra dice IF your
opponent
> has fought in CC earlier in the turn. If the titan has the most forces
in
> the area, then his bikes will go first and any infantry that survive will
> have fought a CC that turn and so the titan would get an extra dice in
CC.
> The second infantry stand that the Titan engages (rolls dice against)
would
> get a bonus dice and the third infantry stand would get two extra dice
and
> so on...

In my gaming group we do it such that the more numerous side chooses the
first combat (ie the first coupling of opponents), then the other chooses
the second, and so on until everybody fights with all of his opponents
(every stand has one "attack"). So, about half of the attacking stands in
the above case would have chance to fight to titan first hand (titan
doesn't roll extra dice).

> > The titan player will get extra dice too ...
>
> What we (my gaming group) do here is that the player with the most models
in
> CC chooses the order of CC, but if 10 infantry stands attack a titan and
5
> bikes, it is quite possible for the titan + bikes side to gain the upper
> hand (and start choosing the order of combat) after the first five stands
> have attacked the titan and been defeated.
>
> We THINK that this is what the rules say, and do not even consider this a
> "house rule".

We too, though as you see we interpreted the same rule a little bit
differently (we set the alteration rule once in the beginning, and don't
update it within the same block of CC).

> > BUT, if the titan is attacked by 2 or more TITANS, and the first
titan
> >looses and
> > is NOT, killed, then the next titan would get the extra die. If the
> >titan is attacked
> > by 1 titan and 7 infantry, the defending titan and atacking infantry
> >should be ...
>
> Yeah, but I'm not following too well!

Neither do I. What, are we *removing* stands without fighting?

> > Now if the the afforementioned titan is on ADVANCE orders, he
simply
> >can NOT walk
> > away, because he could hit the counterattacking bikes.

Is it true? Remember that those moves are actually simultaneous, the bikes
would move away a little bit, ore wouldn't come that close, or the titan
would just step over ...

> > and on a123 the titan carefully misses hitting any of the delicate
..
> > ... amounts of stands with a titan involved.
> > Keith
>
> I think that the current rules work pretty well, and it would be a huge
> uneccessary complication to implement a case by case orders by orders CC
> rule just for titans.
>
> I don't approve of changing the CC rules as they stand, but if people do
see
> a problem, perhaps the simplest solution would be to say that "you cannot
> engage a model you cannot pin" (although the model you cannot pin CAN
squish
> you like a bug if it chooses to engage YOU...) Skimmers would be a
special
> case to be dealt with separately...
>
> Agro

I agree in principle (with Brett, that is).

S. Birol Akmeric

nethol_at_...