Re: [Epic] More armies please!

From: Los <los_at_...>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 1998 13:16:31 -0800

Thanks for the timely (for em) info on Cult armies...

Mark Humphries (EUKFINC1PO) wrote:

> Most of my "idea's" came from trying to transpose the idea of
> the
> Cult Army from the Tyranid Codex for WH40K into Epic.
>
> All of the support and other obvious items have the stats &
> points
> cost from the Imperial Army list.
>
> Two major problems I thought of
> 1) How do you model a Hybrid in Epic scale.

I would simply sue a mix of IG troopers on a stand with Tyranid troops,
maybe have a genestealer be a squad leader. Other than that you get into
xacto knife customization.

> 2) How far do you take the idea of the cultists infiltrating
> the
> Imperial Guard.

Outside of some special scenarios, by the time the battle is fighting
you usually already have delineated who's on which side. Hoewever that
being said, you could have a scenario where just before teh battle
start, there's a percentage chance that x amount of squads will
"convert" to the cult side after deployment. Sort of like how the Blood
Angels choose their death Company.

> Have they for example been able to infiltrate the Imperial
> Flyers,
> or the Imperial Heavy Tanks. Will they have the Imperial Tank
> detachments?

I would say YES. In fact my story tha's near completion covers this in
some detail. there have also benn other short stories on teh net that
I've read where some Cult forces have remained on the Imperial Side
throughout the fighting only to "switch" over at some critical juncture
in the battle.

> According to some Q&A for 40K they may use all the Imperial
> Guard
> Vehicles.
>
> Without this form of support, I would suggest this be more of
> concept army as most other opponents unless severly limited in their
> army
> selection would be able to defeat them. But then again according to
> different bits of fluff, Genestealers Cults have been able to
> overthrow
> whole planets.

I would also add that the Genestealer Cult not only effects trained
troops but normal Army populations too. This could then give you an
additional Cult unit, the "crazed mob". These forces have very imited
weaponry (you know, pitch forks, knives, pistols, bare hands, teeth) but
are very numerous and very cheap. being possessed psychicly, they are
somewhat immune to leadership tests unless the synapse leader dies also.
You would use them as a human wave to screen regular cult forces are
disrupt Cult enemies in the midst of fighting.

For models, you could buy GHQ infantry. they come alreay standing
together as one model representing like 10 people, plop down a few
models on a stand, then a quick multicolored paint job and with two
packs ($10.00) you have 200 frothing mobs on 10 or 20 stands. It might
not add too terribly much to teh fighting but it would seem "realistic".
Especially if the IG is fighting through some wrecked city and these
forces are hiding in building so they can attack without exposing
themselves to too much fire.

                         PV Speed Range FP Assault Armour
Special
Cult Mob 2 10 0 0