[Epic] Re: SCA

From: <duckrvr_at_...>
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 1997 09:54:30 -0600

At 12:50 PM 2/18/97 +0000, you wrote:

>Society for Creative Anachronism.
>
>A world wide medieval recreation society that teaches about the middle ages
>by doing.
>
>We hold feasts (where everyone gets dressed up in their best medieval
>finery) and tournaments where we dress in the finest recreation armour and
>fight full contact with wooden swords (like free form kendo with _much_
>heavier contact).
>
>We have hundreds of thousands of members world wide and a pretty fine civil
>service (and ceremonial aristocracy) to keep things going smoothly.

>agro_at_...

A brief caveat about the SCA:

While there are a number of perfectly normal, well-adjusted people who enjoy
the medieval re-creation, there are a number of people who are attracted
because it is 100% escapist. They have disfunctional mundane lives. Still,
there are some good folks.

The other thing is that everyone who is a member is convinced that they are
medieval historian despite the fact that a number of completely unfounded or
just plain wrong beliefs are passed around the society as gospel truth. I
have a friend with a degree in medieval studies and several master's classes
under his belt who has had joe schmoe the carpenter turned squire argue
until he was blue in the face about the intracacies of medievla culture
without a spec of experience or knowledge outside of the SCA.

Oh, yeah. If you are a guy, you are pretty much expected to fight (despite
their protests to the contrary). The generic "SCA event" centers around the
tournament, and if you're not into bashing people with sticks, oh well.

Still, I had a lot of fun bashing people over the course of about 4 years.
And I did learn how to brew my own beer/mead/wine.

Temp