RE: [Epic] [DBA,DBM,DBR]

From: Elaine P <elainepat_at_...>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 1998 07:09:32 PST

Kevin pretty much hit the nail on the head with his descriptions of DBA,
DBM, DBR, & WRG Ancients.

Just as with Epic there is both good natured ribbing among the players
of the different games and versions, and a rabid fanaticism as to which
game should be played to the exclusion of the others.

I haven't been to too many conventions, (only TwisterCons, the Dallas
Historical Retreats, and the now defunct DallasCon), but at these
conventions DBM was used for the ancients tournament. WRG and DBM games
were also played to introduce new gamers, or to recreate an interesting
battle.

DBA is definitely a quick play game. It is a good introduction to
ancient to medieval wargaming without having to make a huge investment
in miniatures. The basic game mechanics are a basis for several other
games. WRG Ancients, DBM, DBR, HOTT, Armati, FR!, Age of Gunpowder, and
Le Petit Emperur all use variations of the rules and mechanics in DBA.
Of course the other games introduce different concepts, details, and
complexities in miniature wargaming.

Most of us out here don't mind playing the different versions. There
are so few miniature wargamers out here that we will play just about
anything anyone wants to play.

I must admit that I enjoy E40K more than SM/TL, but I think this is due
more to the constraints of time I have available to play rather than
differences in the rules.

-- Elaine