RE: [Epic] [DBA,DBM,DBR]

From: Kelley, Kevin J., JCS <kevin.kelley_at_...>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 1998 07:54:21 -0500

There are 3 sets of rules authored by Phil Barker And Richard Bodley
Scott of WRG who also wrote WRG
Ancients 1.0 to 7.0.
DBA is De Bellum Antiqatus (ignore my spelling) which is played on a 2'
by 2' (15mm) board with 12 stands plus a camp per side. A game takes 15
to 30 min. The latest version is 1.1. There have only been two versions,
and they are pretty much teh same. Armies range from Egyptians to
Burgundian Ordnance. All the rules are on 3 pages plus 3 pages of army
lists in one book. Can also be played with 25mm. You can teach the
rules to this game to a bright 12 yr old in a few minutes.

DBM is De Bellum Multitudinus - it is ancients on a larger scale and is
point based but uses many of the same basic mechanics as DBA. A typical
game is 300 pts a side on a 4' by 6' table - a roman army will have
about 50 stands of troops at 300 pts. SOme armies with expensive troops
will have smaller numbers, some "horde" armies have near to 100 stands.
The most recent DBM rules are version 2.0, there was also 1.1, 1.2 and
1.3. Ver 2.0 has an entirely different terrain choosing system from the
1.x versions. Besides the rule book you will need at least one of the
four army list books. This is seem as the successor to WRG 7th in some
circles.

DBR is De Bellum Reniseance (you know - condotteri) and picks up with
the large scale introduction of gunpowder, the pike and shot era. Same
general rule structure as DBM, points based & etc. Armies tend to be
smaller than in DBM though. I havent played this set of rules much,
they are gaining popularity though.

There is also HOTT (Hordes of the Things) which is DBA plus fantasy
troop types - it is actually a poke at WHFB.

The point I was trying to make is that the DBM and WRG 7th crowd
co-exist more or les amicabley in NASAMW.

Kevin