Re: [Epic] Orks in various rules set

From: Chris Miller <ironstar_at_...>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 1998 22:51:57 -0600

>> -------> Other than counting BattleForts as gargants, I don't know where
>> this comes from either.
>> Sm alone had 0
>> WL added 3
>> TL made it 4 total
>> E40K has 3.
>> ???
>
>Read the rules very carefuly. Note that part about game stats.
>
>To end the flame fest that may follow all of this:
>Epic 40K
>14 kinds of Ork Inf.
>16 kinds of vehicles
>6 gargants (Gargant, Great, Mega, plus each with commander)

--------> OK, what stat is different with a commander on board? If it's the
max power fields thing, then this applies to greats and slashas in SM/TL
also.
Looking at the Ork Summary Sheet, I count 10 different vehicles including
flyers. Are you counting the commander/weirdboy ups as new types?

>CT (aka 1st ed space marine)
>7 inf
>7 vehicles
>4 gargants
>
>SM/TL with out Warlord
>10 inf
>10 wagons
>4 Gargants
>
>SM/TL with Warlord
>10 inf
>29 wagons
>4 gargants.
---------> I count 14 infantry units leaving out the units with the same
stat lines. Ignoring "special rules" is a little misleading though, as the
special rules are what made some of these units different: Deathskulls could
take other clans proprietary cards, stormboyz didn't need to follow the
command rule making them extremely useful, madboyz had to roll on a chart to
see what they did (and were free so different points cost), etc. Just
because E40K doesn't have special rules I think you're discounting their
importance in SM/TL by saying there is no difference between 2 units when
there is. And I might add that SM/TL with Warlords has as many vehicles as
E40K does vehicles _and_ infantry combined.

>The much talked about lack of ork units in Epic 40K is bunk. It has the
>largest number of units for any "right out of the box" game that GW has
>done.

-----------> I'm wondering how much you played Orks in SM/TL because there
is a major difference, which every ork player I've met who has looked E40K
over has commented on. Sure, some of the units in the old game were very
similar - so are bikes & buggies in E40K. As for "right out of the box",
that's true - but how many people who played an army restricted themselves
to only the original set? If you go by price, I paid 50$ for Sm boxed, + $30
for Warlords, but paid $70 for E40K. Not much difference there, and you
really didn't have to have TL to play. Also, lets wait 2 more years and see
if there's another E40K set to buy...bet there will be.
  As for "bunk" - Gosh! You're right! I've just been an idiot for the past
year saying that there are fewer units and they aren't as fun to play
because your analysis shows that - oh wait, I had Sm, WL, and TL so I did
have more units... I guess all the ork players out there are wrong and just
not paying attention? Just because the changes didn't bother you doesn't
mean everyone else felt the same way.
   I don't want this to come across too hostile, but to dismiss ork players
complaint about the new system as "bunk" is just silly.

Chris Miller