Re: [Epic] Orks in various rules set

From: J. Michael Looney <mlooney_at_...>
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 1998 08:16:44 -0600

Chris Miller wrote:

> >> -------> Other than counting BattleForts as gargants, I don't know
> where
> >> this comes from either.
> >> Sm alone had 0
> >> WL added 3
> >> TL made it 4 total
> >> E40K has 3.
> >> ???
> >
> >Read the rules very carefuly. Note that part about game stats.
> >
> >To end the flame fest that may follow all of this:
> >Epic 40K
> >14 kinds of Ork Inf.
> >16 kinds of vehicles
> >6 gargants (Gargant, Great, Mega, plus each with commander)
>
> --------> OK, what stat is different with a commander on board? If
> it's the
> max power fields thing, then this applies to greats and slashas in
> SM/TL
> also.
> Looking at the Ork Summary Sheet, I count 10 different vehicles
> including
> flyers. Are you counting the commander/weirdboy ups as new types?

1) Commander on board has game effects (vs army design effects.) Makes
all units with in 30 cm stubborn.
2) Psker and hero each have game effects

> >CT (aka 1st ed space marine)
> >7 inf
> >7 vehicles
> >4 gargants
> >
> >SM/TL with out Warlord
> >10 inf
> >10 wagons
> >4 Gargants
> >
> >SM/TL with Warlord
> >10 inf
> >29 wagons
> >4 gargants.

> ---------> I count 14 infantry units leaving out the units with the
> same stat lines. Ignoring "special rules" is a little misleading though,
> as the special rules are what made some of these units different: Deathskulls
> could take other clans proprietary cards, stormboyz didn't need to follow
> the command rule making them extremely useful, madboyz had to roll on a
> chart to see what they did (and were free so different points cost), etc. Just
> because E40K doesn't have special rules I think you're discounting
> their importance in SM/TL by saying there is no difference between 2 units
> when there is. And I might add that SM/TL with Warlords has as many
> vehicles as E40K does vehicles _and_ infantry combined.

Of the ones you list there, the only one that has the same stat line as
another unit is the Death Skulls. There "special" effect does not
effect game play, only army design. I therefor did not count them
separate. Also I counted the guns as vehicles, which accounts for the
10 vs 14 effect there.

> >The much talked about lack of ork units in Epic 40K is bunk. It has the
> >largest number of units for any "right out of the box" game that GW
> has done.
> >

> -----------> I'm wondering how much you played Orks in SM/TL because
> there is a major difference, which every ork player I've met who has looked
> E40K over has commented on. Sure, some of the units in the old game were
> very similar - so are bikes & buggies in E40K. As for "right out of the
> box",that's true - but how many people who played an army restricted
> themselves to only the original set? If you go by price, I paid 50$ for Sm boxed,
> + $30 for Warlords, but paid $70 for E40K. Not much difference there, and
> you really didn't have to have TL to play. Also, lets wait 2 more years
> and see if there's another E40K set to buy...bet there will be.

> As for "bunk" - Gosh! You're right! I've just been an idiot for the
> past year saying that there are fewer units and they aren't as fun to play
> because your analysis shows that - oh wait, I had Sm, WL, and TL so I
> did have more units... I guess all the ork players out there are wrong and
> just not paying attention? Just because the changes didn't bother you
> doesn't mean everyone else felt the same way.
> I don't want this to come across too hostile, but to dismiss ork
> players complaint about the new system as "bunk" is just silly.

I never said that SM/TL/WL didn't have more types of Orks than E40K. I
KNOW that the number was reduced. I know that many of them (like say
25% or so) differed in trivial amount. Orks were my primary army in 2nd
Ed. I was glad that TL came out with a rule that allowed you to have
more than one of a given clan if you had taken all the possible clans
with support cards. That allowed me, in theory, to use my full force.
(not that I ever got a chance to do that and most of them were still
unpainted (about 40% are painted to date))

A person on the list seems to think that my preferred version of Epic
only has 1 race, with different paint jobs because that is all that is
in the basic rules that comes in the box with the troops. If the
supporters of 2nd Ed over all other version can do that, so can I.

--
Sillyness is the last refuse of the doomed.  P. Opus
http://www.spellbooksoftware.com