Re: [Epic] Orks in various rules set

From: Alan E & Carmel J Brain <aebrain_at_...>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 1998 22:28:04 +1000

Chris Miller wrote:

> --------> OK, what stat is different with a commander on board?
Agree with tou on this one, I'd say 3 not 6.

> >The much talked about lack of ork units in Epic 40K is bunk. It has the
> >largest number of units for any "right out of the box" game that GW has
> >done.

Funnily enough, I agree with this too.

> -----------> I'm wondering how much you played Orks in SM/TL because there
> is a major difference, which every ork player I've met who has looked E40K
> over has commented on. Sure, some of the units in the old game were very
> similar - so are bikes & buggies in E40K. As for "right out of the box",
> that's true - but how many people who played an army restricted themselves
> to only the original set?

If you want additional flavour, just look at JML's page. My original
post has rules for different types of Battlewagons that cost the same,
but when mixed in proportions of 1:1:1:1 end up with the same FP and
carrying capacity as 4 of the homogenised variety. So a
Lungbuster/Spleenripper is different from a Bonecrusha/Bonebreaka is
different from a Bowelburna is different from a Gutrippa...
Experince and playtesting has shown that with a proper Orky mess of
vehicles (all different), the overall effect is the same as having the
same number of an identical type. Yet I _like_ having the difference,
even if it makes no odds whatsoever in game terms.

> If you go by price, I paid 50$ for Sm boxed, + $30
> for Warlords, but paid $70 for E40K. Not much difference there, and you
> really didn't have to have TL to play.

And how much for White Dwarfs that had the rules in before Warlords came
out? OTOH in order to get the Imperial Tarot and a few other useful
rules, a few WDs have been neccessary for E40K too.

--
 abrain_at_...  o OO*O^^^^O*OO o oo     oo oo     oo