Re: [Epic] Music (Topicish)

From: Chris Miller <ironstar_at_...>
Date: Sat, 28 Feb 1998 15:54:37 -0600

>I love soundtracks (or music playing in the back of my head) whenever I do
>anything so this is a topic I enjoy. Given that we're talking about Epic
>sized battles I like the big Epic type soundtratks like:
>
>Holst: The planets (Track 3: Mars the Bringer of War). That to me is a
>very breathtaking peice for huge battles. When our detachment was doing
>our blackhawk infiltration into Western Iraq, this was playing in the back
>of my mind over and over. kept me focused.
----------> I just recently discovered this, and it is good, damn good.
Knowing that this came first, I hear bits of it in a bunch of music I
already had & liked.

>>Pouladouris (sp?) Soundtrack to Starship Troopers. (The whole
>cd)Regardless of what one thought of the movie, the Soundtrack is great
>(IMO) especially if youare conducting a planetary assault. <g>

---------> this is the guy who did the Conan Soundtrack, which has several
good battle tunes also.

>SSI computer game "Steel Panthers soundtrack" An excellent soundtrack for
>tank battles .
-------> also good. Others you might find useful are Warcraft 2 and the
Mechwarrior games for a little different sound.

>I'll stop now before I ramble to much
>
>Los

-------> <picking up thread>
If you're doing the empire, the Star Trek II or III soundtracks are nice
too. II has some great back & forth sequences from the battle scenes, and
III has somedifferent sections, and , of course, the Klingon Theme which
might do for Orks or Chaos. The Temple of Doom soundtrack has some
interesting stuff too. Last of the Mohicans is pretty good too.
Try a few of these if you have a CD changer and mix them up.
   Also, if you like lyrics,the Blue Oyster Cult has some cool tunes
including "Black Blade", "Veteran of the Psychic Wars", ME262, "Godzilla"
and a few others. Unusual band. The live CD has about the best versions of
these, except ME262.

>P.S
>
>> For an excuse to enclose the following, does anyone associate any
>> particular music to playing/painting epic etc?

--------> For painting I find any music in the background is better than
nothing, though classical seems to do the most for me, even though I rarely
listened to it before. It helps calm the baby down, and I happened to be
painting one day...

Chris Miller