Re: [Epic] Music (Topicish)

From: Thane Morgan <thane_at_...>
Date: Sun, 01 Mar 1998 01:19:12 -0700

Chris Miller wrote:

> >I love soundtracks (or music playing in the back of my head) whenever I do
> >anything so this is a topic I enjoy. Given that we're talking about Epic
> >sized battles I like the big Epic type soundtratks like:
> >
> >Holst: The planets (Track 3: Mars the Bringer of War). That to me is a
> >very breathtaking peice for huge battles. When our detachment was doing
> >our blackhawk infiltration into Western Iraq, this was playing in the back
> >of my mind over and over. kept me focused.
> ----------> I just recently discovered this, and it is good, damn good.
> Knowing that this came first, I hear bits of it in a bunch of music I
> already had & liked.
>
> >>Pouladouris (sp?) Soundtrack to Starship Troopers. (The whole
> >cd)Regardless of what one thought of the movie, the Soundtrack is great
> >(IMO) especially if youare conducting a planetary assault. <g>
>
> ---------> this is the guy who did the Conan Soundtrack, which has several
> good battle tunes also.
> >
> >SSI computer game "Steel Panthers soundtrack" An excellent soundtrack for
> >tank battles .
> -------> also good. Others you might find useful are Warcraft 2 and the
> Mechwarrior games for a little different sound.
> >
> >I'll stop now before I ramble to much
> >
> >Los
>
> -------> <picking up thread>
> If you're doing the empire, the Star Trek II or III soundtracks are nice
> too. II has some great back & forth sequences from the battle scenes, and
> III has somedifferent sections, and , of course, the Klingon Theme which
> might do for Orks or Chaos. The Temple of Doom soundtrack has some
> interesting stuff too. Last of the Mohicans is pretty good too.
> Try a few of these if you have a CD changer and mix them up.
> Also, if you like lyrics,the Blue Oyster Cult has some cool tunes
> including "Black Blade", "Veteran of the Psychic Wars", ME262, "Godzilla"
> and a few others. Unusual band. The live CD has about the best versions of
> these, except ME262.
>
> >P.S
> >
> >> For an excuse to enclose the following, does anyone associate any
> >> particular music to playing/painting epic etc?
>
> --------> For painting I find any music in the background is better than
> nothing, though classical seems to do the most for me, even though I rarely
> listened to it before. It helps calm the baby down, and I happened to be
> painting one day...
>
> Chris Miller

This is a bit off topic now, but to this day there are certain passages
off of Loreena McKennit's "To Drive the Cold Winter Away" CD that bring
flashes of DOOM levels to mind; I lost about a week of my life to that
game right at the same time I got 3 of her older CD's. If any of you
don't know who she is, DOOM is about the LAST thing you'd expect to
think of while listening to her.

Thane