Re: [Epic] E40K- Counter Assaulting

From: Olcglas <Olcglas_at_...>
Date: Tue, 3 Mar 1998 17:43:55 EST

> > > If you lose the initiative and someone charges your guys and you are
> > > Assaulting, can you move your guys up to add to the engagement?
> >
> > In the rules, or in the hypothetical version I was thinking of,
> > combining the two? In the official rules, I do not think you can do
> > that.
>
> Now that I think about it, this is a really sticky situation. It has
> never come up in my games because I usually go on Overwatch if I think
> I'm gonna be charged.

The side which seizes the initiative gets to make its assault moves, cc & ff.
Then the other player does likewise.

This is why the WAAUUUGGHH rule is so important to the Orks. By getting to put
their counters back into the cup before drawing initiative for the assault
phase, they tend to catch enemies flat-footed by their impetuosity and
ferocious enthusiasm. Eldar & Marines will generally clobber Orks in CC if
they get to pick and choose who fights whom, but the Orks *usually* get to
mob-attack their foes, getting the numbers advantage going for them.

Result: two assault units charging each other is a bit like a game of chicken
- someone will usually wimp out and go onto OW rather than risk getting
ambushed. This is also where the cooperative aspects of play come in - a unit
with a reserve unit behind it on OW, or a WM providing support, will have the
freedom to plunge foward, while an unsupported assault unit will have to worry
about getting caught out.

BTW this bring up a point: the Golden Prize of assaults. The Golden Prize is
when you can arrange to go second in the assault phase, beat the enemy during
*his* assault sequence, then launch your own and hit him while he's broken.
It's hard to pull off, but a wonderful thing to see.