Re: [Epic] New Player.. Not New lister

From: Andy Skinner <askinner_at_...>
Date: Wed, 04 Mar 1998 08:45:46 -0500

Derek Tabor wrote:

> Hi.. I have been subscribed to the list for sometime now, and after finding
> out that it was Epic, and not 40k, I filtered all messages into the trash
> and ignored them..

I'm curious why you didn't just unsubscribe. :-) But welcome, anyway.

> Would a Epic 40k, travel type game be interesting.. use 40k rules, but epic
> minis?

I and others on this list (or their kids) have (independently) created
travel Space Hulk with Epic figs. I use a hole punch to make little
magnetic circles out of refrigerator magnets, and glue them to the
bottom of Tactical Marines, Sergeants, and Devastators. (Terminators in
Epic are too few to use for this, in my opinion.) Genestealers can be
done the same way. Draw the Space Hulk layout on graph paper, put it on
a cookie sheet, and play. Oh, I made counters by gluing colored paper
to the magnets and punching circles out of that. This works well, and
I've taken it on trips.

I wondered if people were playing Epic Gorkamorka. I don't know much
about the game, but I was interested to see in the responses that
someone does. It does seem very individualistic, though.

I'm working on Epic Stargrunt II. Stargrunt II, by Ground Zero Games,
is a more realistic science-fiction game, at a little bigger scale than
40K. The standard miniatures are 25mm (smaller than 40K, though the
game is generic and may be used with 40K figs), but the basic unit is a
squad, not an individual. You move and shoot with a unit, the enemy
does the same, alternate. So I shouldn't have to do any customization
or worrying about what is what--I'll have basic types (tacticals will be
light powered armor, terminators heavy powered armor, devastators will
be some kind of support weapon, etc.) that don't have to vary
individually. I'm looking forward to playing a miniatures game while
sitting down at the kitchen table, on a battlefield a yard square or
less. I finally got the Stargrunt II rules, and am hoping for my first
experimental game this week.

> How many Space Marine players paint the insignia on EVERY shoulder? That
> seems very tedious if not downright difficult without some sort of pen.. I
> mean the GW paint jobs on epic mini's are not so insanely difficult, but I
> saw the "U" on every Ultra Marine Terminator and almost vomited.

I am very basic with my Space Marines. A light base coat and a wash,
the gun and the base are about it.

andy

--
Andy Skinner