Re: [Epic] Rants. Was SM/TL vs E40K unit costs

From: J. Michael Looney <mlooney_at_...>
Date: Wed, 04 Mar 1998 15:56:47 -0600

> P.S. This is also why you can't specifically target the heavy
> weapons trooper in a squad. Not so much a reality issue as a game issue.
> Turn one, all the officers get croaked, turn two, all the heavy weapons
> guys drop. Great game.
>
> It's a better looking game with banners & such, but if you have
> them people will try to use that to justify sniping the special units.
> So you can either allow this (bad game), delete all banners and
> decoration (bad looking), or just outlaw it thru a rule and leave the
> banners etc. in (good for game, good for mini's).
>
> Chris Miller

Do you play ANY non GW games?

I play micro armor, used to play LOTS of micro armor. Lossing a command
unit in a WWII game is MUCH worse than in WH40K, but no set of rules
that I know off prevents you for firing at the command elements if they
are out in sight. The problem is that in WH40K the a "special" figure
can, in most cases, eat a squad for lunch. Most command vehicles in the
real world are not even armed. A commander should be directing the
fight, not be the main point of the army. In E40K you get close to that
effect. The effect of having the commander close by is you get
"Stuborn" and get to re-roll CC results. The command elements, are, in
general, not all that powerful of detachments. This means that blowing
them away is a pain, but not a battle looser. I have seen WH40K games
be called because the captian got killed.

"That figure just blasted the whole of my left flank, and I can't shoot
at him because there are 5 grunts that can't hit the broad side of a
barn in front of him?" The whole of characters as god like super
fighters is bad for the game, I don't care how good it looks.