Re: old timers (was Re: [Epic] Rants. Was SM/TL vs E40K unit costs)

From: Scott Shupe <shupes_at_...>
Date: Thu, 05 Mar 1998 15:29:49 -0500

chadtaylor wrote:

> Yep, that was me (great to know that I am remembered only for getting
> mushed in a 'e-mail/list' game in front of everyone :)

        At least you're remembered!

> I'm mostly playing Full Thrust. I'm back because I have been playing Dirt
> Side II, and while it is a good game(better game really than sm/tl or e40k)
> I just can't handle the Chits. I really really really want to like e40k so
> I'm going to give it another try. The first (couple) time I played trying
> to work out the rules (E40k) I decided I didn't like them because they were
> not as clean/fast/clear as the SM/TL rules (and yes I know there were/are
> plenty of buggy things there also). From the way the list reads (questions
> etc) I think I was right the first time. People are still trying to figure
> out how to play the game on the most basic level.

        People misread rules all the time. The same sort of
thing happened with SM/TL as well... When I first started playing
SM/TL me & my buddies thought that every unit on a card had to
stay in 6cm coherency (so companies looked like huge mobs on the
table) and that if one unit from a card was pinned, all the units
on the card were pinned. After 1 or 2 games we said "this ain't
right" and read the rules more carefully and found out it wasn't
right at all.

        And heck, there was even misreads with people who had
been playing for some time... I don't remember how many people
I ran into (either on the list or in real life) who thought that
GDs couldn't sacrifice a chaos card to save themselves in close
combat, but there were a bunch.

        E40k's basic rules are more complex than SM/TL's basic
rules, so of course there's going to be some confusion until
people give the books a good read-through and play it a few
times.

> Given that, I'm going to
> give it another try. Doubtful outcome though. Maybe I should get Alan,
> his 20 thawks, and my bugs and give it another round ;)

        It takes a few games before you really get a feel for
it. At first, you're too busy looking at charts and keeping
track of blast markers to appreciate the finer points.

Scott Shupe
shupes_at_... shupes@... http://www.rpi.edu/~shupes
"I felt like I was becoming scientifically interesting." - Heart of
Darkness