Re: old timers (was Re: [Epic] Rants. Was SM/TL vs E40K unit costs)

From: Brett Hollindale <agro_at_...>
Date: Fri, 6 Mar 1998 13:39:02 +0100 (MET)

> And heck, there was even misreads with people who had
>been playing for some time... I don't remember how many people
>I ran into (either on the list or in real life) who thought that
>GDs couldn't sacrifice a chaos card to save themselves in close
>combat, but there were a bunch.

When we first played, we figured that "using a chaos card to save a greater
demon" meant sacrificing one of your minion cards (we didn't know much about
chaos cards...). It seemed quite reasonable that a greater demon could suck
the life force out of his followers to save himself. And it explained why
no GD could be fielded with less than 3 minion cards... It made perfect
sense to us!

Agro

> E40k's basic rules are more complex than SM/TL's basic
>rules, so of course there's going to be some confusion until
>people give the books a good read-through and play it a few
>times.
>
>> Given that, I'm going to
>> give it another try. Doubtful outcome though. Maybe I should get Alan,
>> his 20 thawks, and my bugs and give it another round ;)
>
> It takes a few games before you really get a feel for
>it. At first, you're too busy looking at charts and keeping
>track of blast markers to appreciate the finer points.

I want folks to realise that I am heroicly refraining on commenting on this
concept...