Re: [Epic] Rants. Was SM/TL vs E40K unit costs

From: Brett Hollindale <agro_at_...>
Date: Fri, 6 Mar 1998 13:38:51 +0100 (MET)

At 08:08 AM 4/3/98 -0600, you wrote:
>Brett Hollindale wrote:
>>
>> To answer the question, playing a game by the rules of that game does not
>> make one "a blind follower", but ceasing to play a game because the almighty
>> GW wants to squeeze you for some more bucks IS a bit different...
>>

>Point the first. I like Epic 40K, as a wargame, better than Space
>Marine 2nd Ed. That is why I play it.
>Point the second. On the rare times that I play WH40K I play 1st ed
>(aka WH40K/RT).
>
>I stopped playing 2nd ed because I like 3rd ed better.

They (the heretics :-) all say that...

>Has nothing to do with GW's marketing ploys, which, as a whole, suck rocks.

They (everyone) say that!!!

>> To address the between the lines issue of armie cards:
>>
>> Once in a while, even the blind monkey finds the banana...
>> Which is to say that once in a while even GW has a good idea.
>>
>> You see, EPIC is more than a rule set, it's a complete universe. "The
>> fluff" is what makes EPIC great. Oddly, the cards are part of that fluff.
>
>Ah, but which set of fluff? I like the AT/SM/CT & WH40K/RT fluff much
>better than the SM/TL/AOI/etc & WH40K 2nd. fluff. Granted the fluff in
>E40K is a bit thin. Like it's not there. So I my case I am basing the
>fluff on the 1st ed stuff.
>

>> The fluff tells us that the way combat is conducted has been passed down for
>> generations in tomes called The Codexes...
>>

>I assume then that you never play Orks or Space Wolves, only generic
>Space Marines. The whole idea that every ork warband of a given clan is
>identical is, well, un orky. And of course the Space Pups go out of
>their way to not be Codex.
>
>> What it comes down to is that anything that needs to be included in the rule
>> set that doesn't make logical sense is included as a quotation from "The
>> Codex such-and-such".
>>

><sarcasm>
>So the codexs say that you should never shoot at the enemy commander,
>because that might make you win the battle,

I trust that this IS <sarcasm> because I think everyone knows the reasons
behind this...

>you should always shoot at the closest group of hostiles, regardless, even
if they are
>not the major threat at the time. Which one says that please?

Actually, that would be 40K. It has probably been imported into the heresy
(E40K) but I neither know nor care. It is NOT a part of SM/TL and never has
been...
(Why it generated so much traffic without someone mentioning this reasonably
salient point is a bit of a mystery)

Agro