RE: [Epic] Painting

From: Brett Hollindale <agro_at_...>
Date: Fri, 6 Mar 1998 13:38:44 +0100 (MET)

At 08:33 AM 5/3/98 -0600, you wrote:

>> The Lensman series? I've read a few books.

>> > : )Speaking for Gharlane of Eddore? I didn't think anyone
>> else still
>> alive
>> >had read that series!
>> >
>> >Thane
>>
>> Shervin
>>
>-------> I like to toss that out every once in a while to see who gets
>it. I have all , 7(?) original books, though it's been a while since I
>read them last. Something about that early SF just has a different kick
>to it. The tech is so out there too. Maybe that's why I like some of the
>40K technology so much - straight out of the 30's-50's.
>
>Chris Miller

Actually, "Doc" Smith had a quite astonishing grasp of physics and a
BRILLIANT way around the light speed barrier. In the Lensmen series he
hypothosised an "inertialess drive" that changed the basic property of
matter that created the light speed barrier. But in the Skylark series he
had an even better way out... Who remembers it?

But to remain remotely on topic - EPIC requires a similar "willful
suspension of disbelief" to when you read a science fiction story. Kim
Kinneson (who?) was a super hero worth literally hundreds of bad guys and
while I don't think much of the rules systems that create cheesy crap like
that you don't have to look far in literature and movies to see a lot of
examples... Why is that? I would guess it sells.

Agro