Re: [Epic] Rants. Was SM/TL vs E40K unit costs

From: Alan E & Carmel J Brain <aebrain_at_...>
Date: Fri, 06 Mar 1998 23:47:06 +1000

chadtaylor wrote:

> > Good to have you back, Sir! There's still some talk by people about our
> > - er - Epic Thundercheese vs Tyrannid battle we had a while ago.
>
> Great, I'm famous in defeat :)

Actually, I conceded you a moral victory: it was my contention that even
a greatly inferior general could win vs anything with 20 Thunderhawks
with Chaos Space Marines. You out-generalled me and gave me so many
problems that if I hadn't of been scathingly brilliant (cough cough),
you would have won.

> > BTW did you get those 10+ boxes of Epic Figs I sent you about 12 months
> > ago? If not, then even by Australia Post standards, they're overdue...

> Nope, never saw them.

AGH. That's 14 boxes, 5 sprues each, or the equivalent of US $350 these
days. How utterly tiresome. I'll have to go through my old e-mail and
find out exactly when I posted 'em, to what address etc. But I suspect
they're Gorn without trace. Quelle Bummer.

Still, to have you back on the list is more than adequate consolation.

> So, did you make the change to E40k or are you still holding back? What
> about the other 'old guys' from way back when? I notice the list seems to
> be split, rather heated at times it seems also.

After some trepidation, I tried E40K. Although there are a few wrinkles
that need smoothing out, and too much flavour has been removed, I
consider E40K to be the best set of miniatures rules that GW have ever
produced. The units are (slightly over-)simplified, but the game
mechanics are simple but rich. More complex than SM2/TL, which had very
simple basic rules but a zillion exceptions and special rules added.
NetEpic, last time I looked, appeared to have made a better but more
complex set of basic rules, and a more consistent but still more complex
set of exceptions for special units. Like SFB, it's become too complex
for my taste, but YMMV.

I've certainly enjoyed playing E40K more than SM2, but like SM2
nonetheless. The only complaint I have about E40K is that some of the
simplifications were over-done, and one or two were in the wrong
boundaries: Thus Ork Traktor Kannon should be AT shots rather than FP2
artillery, Squig Catapults should be Disrupts rather than FP2 artillery.
The Ork Battlewagon simplification took a LOT of swallowing, but after
much experimentation with having 4 different types of Battlewagon, I
found there was no difference, IF had a proper Orky and individualistic
army.

Others (Hi, Agro!) consider the above Heretical, and won't even try
E40K. Now I can understand someone playing 6 games of E40K and deciding
SM2 is better (I'd disagree), but not even to try seems a little
extreme. OTOH I'd rather play SM2 vs Agro than nothing. But as he's in
Brisbane, this is unlikely.

--
 abrain_at_...  o OO*O^^^^O*OO o oo     oo oo     oo