Re: [Epic] what should i run as a 3000 point army against eldar?

From: Thane Morgan <thane_at_...>
Date: Sun, 08 Mar 1998 21:35:05 -0700

L. Brian Hayes wrote:

> gentlemen, (and ladies if there are any present)
> I have a game scheduled for this thursday (3-12) set up against the
> dreaded Eldar. (I run a Imperial army, heavy marines) I would like to know
> what the general opinion is as to what type of force I should field? The
> battle ground will be a very close city fight. I'm wanting to use 1 Warlord
> Titan and as many foot troopers as I have.

You may want to reconsider the warlord in close city terrain. Its easy
to lose LOS in such places, and easier for the enemy to stick it in CC.
I'd replace it with warhounds, which are more maneuverable and can still
make a big difference in firefights/CC. You may be able to get a phantom
in HTH with the warlord, but I wouldn't count on it, plus you can
probably do better with assault marines led by a librarian.

However, I think the warlord with several deathrays could help keep the
pop ups down if he stays back, especially from the Eldar War Engines.
But I think the CC troops would be better in the long run.

 3000 points give us alot of
> room. I have 4 Thunder Hawks _at_ my disposal and I'm thinking of dropping 4
> dreads and terminators in his rear deployment zone along with other
> nasties. I''m not wanting to cheese (too much).

I almost never deploy marines by thunderhawks; their FP is way more
valuable and you can always deploy by pods. The loss of the dreads will
hurt less if you replace them with devastator marines; you get more FP
for the points, and you can keep them behind the terminators so only SHW
can target them (and the dreads would die just as easily from those
weapons).

Termies are great for sticking around, but DON'T put them somewhere
where they cannot retreat from a FF/CC; they should be able to hold
their ground OK in such situations, but it takes just one bad die roll.
Also, always put a psycher in units which are likely to see CC/FF. Its
an easy way to get an advantage in an FF/CC and are often worth 20 or 30
points of total resolution. You may want to break it up into two smaller
but interlinking units to get more psykers involved.

Assault marines can really kick but in this sort of game; lots of places
to hide on the way to the combat. You may even play them without rhinos,
and use the points for another squad or a LR.

Landspeeders may be very good for this game, though a little less
effective against eldar. Bikes will likely be ineffective, as they
cannot enter buildings and are not spectacualar at CC or FF against
eldar.

Thane