Re: [Epic] what should i run as a 3000 point army against eldar?

From: Thane Morgan <thane_at_...>
Date: Mon, 09 Mar 1998 19:19:49 -0700

Miller, Chris wrote:

> > gentlemen, (and ladies if there are any present)
> > I have a game scheduled for this thursday (3-12) set up against
> > the
> > dreaded Eldar. (I run a Imperial army, heavy marines) I would like to
> > know
> > what the general opinion is as to what type of force I should field?
> > The
> > battle ground will be a very close city fight. I'm wanting to use 1
> > Warlord
> > Titan and as many foot troopers as I have. 3000 points give us alot of
> >
> > room. I have 4 Thunder Hawks _at_ my disposal and I'm thinking of
> > dropping 4
> > dreads and terminators in his rear deployment zone along with other
> > nasties. I''m not wanting to cheese (too much).
> -------> OK, are we talking E40K here?
>
> Assuming we are, I'd go for lots of assault marines if the terrain is
> that dense. Termies will be fine, and dreads will probably do allright
> also. To really hurt him, you'll need artillery (remember, no LOS
> problems) as his pop-ups will probably hurt you. If he is going to use
> Eldar superheavies, I'd use the t-hawks to land a horde of assault
> marines on them and wipe-em out first thing. You may want to save at
> least one air-mobile group until you've engaged him close in, then land
> behind him to cut off retreats, but be sure it's a fight you're going to
> win before doing so

I really must re-state my opposition to using thunderhawks for SM
deployment. Pods are only slightly less effective at precision, are a
lot less vulnerable to interceptors and flak, and a HELL of a lot
cheaper. Why spend 240 points to deploy a detat that can be more safely
deployed for free. Especially if you have to wait two turns to use the
awesome 24 fp afterwards. They're almost as powerful individually as 2
heavy artillery units which can stuff 6 units in their template.

Thane