RE: [Epic] what should i run as a 3000 point army against eldar?

From: Miller, Chris <CMiller_at_...>
Date: Mon, 9 Mar 1998 14:14:14 -0600

> gentlemen, (and ladies if there are any present)
> I have a game scheduled for this thursday (3-12) set up against
> the
> dreaded Eldar. (I run a Imperial army, heavy marines) I would like to
> know
> what the general opinion is as to what type of force I should field?
> The
> battle ground will be a very close city fight. I'm wanting to use 1
> Warlord
> Titan and as many foot troopers as I have. 3000 points give us alot of
>
> room. I have 4 Thunder Hawks _at_ my disposal and I'm thinking of
> dropping 4
> dreads and terminators in his rear deployment zone along with other
> nasties. I''m not wanting to cheese (too much).
-------> OK, are we talking E40K here?

Assuming we are, I'd go for lots of assault marines if the terrain is
that dense. Termies will be fine, and dreads will probably do allright
also. To really hurt him, you'll need artillery (remember, no LOS
problems) as his pop-ups will probably hurt you. If he is going to use
Eldar superheavies, I'd use the t-hawks to land a horde of assault
marines on them and wipe-em out first thing. You may want to save at
least one air-mobile group until you've engaged him close in, then land
behind him to cut off retreats, but be sure it's a fight you're going to
win before doing so. You probably want to let him come to you over most
of the battlefield as he has the skimmers, except for certain select
targets you can overwhelm and wipe out with a combination of artillery
pounding a single detachment followed by fast, high assault value troops
rushing in. Depending on the sightlines, a few land raiders and devs
might be handy, but it's going to depend on the board layout.

> For reference the guy I'm playing has lead from the original
> Space Marine
> game and has collected EVERYTHING so he will be able to cheese me if
> he
> would like.
-------> Yes, sometimes a simple quantity can be cheese (cf.. "20
Tarantulas for Chaos")

> He even has all three of the original Ordinatius vehicles.
-------> This is really not something he should be bragging about...
: )

--------> He's doing you a favor. Really.

> My opponent is a friend so all is fair in love and war. :)
> Brian

--------> Friends: people you can use very obvous cheese against on
occasion, and they'll still play again...usually to top your last cheese
with their own.

Chris Miller