Re: [Epic] My Database, AGAIN

From: Thane Morgan <thane_at_...>
Date: Mon, 09 Mar 1998 20:38:24 -0700

OK, my favorite SM detats:

Tactical Strong Point
5 Tacs in rhinos
Captain in LR
2 LR's
4 support weapons.
392 points
B:12
M:8

This is a nice unit to find cover over moderate open areas and go on
overwatch, but it is fast enough to firefight something which gets
positioned badly.

Tactical Drop Force

5 tac squads
1 captain
1 librarian
5 support weapons
(Pods!)
Points: 300
B:9
M:6

This is a good flanking drop force for harrying an advancing unit, or
sweeping in behind if ignored to catch fleers from and FF. Not a
terrible loss if you get pinchered yourself.

Main Armor Detat
5 LR's
3 predators
Librarian in LR
3 tac squads (ride in LR's)
431 points
B:8
M:9
12 AT shots ensures 2 blast markers, predators are slightly cheaper BM
sponges, and can put a third BM down in most circumstances. Librarian is
there for CC bolstering. Tac are deployed in front of tanks when
expecting heavy incoming fire or a CC. Can also hold a point on
overwatch very well. Sometimes I'll drop the predators.

Attack bikes

6 attack bikes
5 bikes
1 Captain on bike
1 librarian on bike

points 195
B:7
M:4

This is a cheap harrying force, good for slowing a front through cheesy
firefight selection. It can also swoop in on the weak or blastmarker
laden enemy units. NOT GOOD AT FRONTAL CC ATTACKS, so resist the
temptation. The good news is that if you succumb to temptation, you only
lose 4 morale. This unit is vulnerable to fliers (4 thunderhawks once
wiped out the whole damn thing); see above statement.
I usually deploy this detat in pairs. If not, I take 9 attack bikes and
6 regular

Assault Co.
5 (or 6) assault squads
Captain w/packs
Librarian with packs
255 points (or 289)
Morale:6
B:6 (or 7)

OK,I dont like using transports with my assault troops. They move as
fast as I want them to as is (in most cases), can be podded in and I can
use the points for another squad or two. Also, I've found throwing them
into another detat on the first or second turn ends up leaving them
surrounded and isolated on turn 2 or 3, which royally sucks. I usually
opperate this units in pairs, who can then crunch one or two detats and
get the psyker bonus on top of whatever else.

Devastator Detat
5 Devastators in Rhinos
Captain in LR
Librarian in LR
390 points
B10
M8
Sometimes I'll add 3 tac stands or some AT weapons in LR's, but recently
I've been playing these guys naked (painted a tasteful blue, though).
That may be due to wanting to field more in you face units, though.
Also, don't be afraid to firefight with these guys. I've surprised
people a few times with this tactic.

3 thunder hawks
Air support only.

5 Thunder bolts Air superiority

Those are my favorite marine detats. I'll put up some tyrannids later.

Thane