Re: [Epic] 2000pt 'ideal' IG Army

From: Sean Smith <seans_at_...>
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 1998 13:07:15 +1300 (BST)

On Thu 12 Mar, Aaron wrote:
> Sean Smith wrote:
> >
> > Imperial Guard Colonel with Primas Psyker
> > (in a chrimera) 64
> > 2 Rough Rider Squads 20
> >
> > Imperial Titan Legion Detachment
> > Adeptus Mechanicus Ordinatus 200
> > Armed with - Plasma Annihilator
> >
> > Imperial Titan Legion Detachment
> > Adeptus Mechanicus Ordinatus 200
> > Armed with - Sonic Disrupter
>
> Ah, good ol Ordinatus Cheese
>

> > Imperial Guard Infantry Detachment
> > 1 Detachment HQs (with captains) 57
> > 3 Imperial Guard Squads (with 3 commissars) 60
> > 9 Support Weapons 117
>
> I'd make those guys Heavy Weapon and remove the commissars. They are not
> going anywhere and are not so expensive that they are a "juicy" assault
> target. Just keep em behind something.

I have disagree with you Aaron. The commissars have a save roll so they
increase the survivability of the detachment as whole by being in the
front rank. The only advantage heavy weapon units over normal IG is
that they have 45cm instead of 30cm range. The disadvantage of
heavy weapon units is that they have less survivability and the
detachment has a lower break point because you have 1 unit instead
of two. As for the mobility of the detachment, the support weapons
range of45cm compensates for it to some degree, also I find you
usually canmarch the detachment on turn one, other than that I find
the additional assault value and anti-tank shoots are worth the
trade off of less mobility.

> > Imperial Guard Infantry Detachment
> > 1 Detachment HQs (with captains) 57
> > 3 Imperial Guard Squads (with 3 commissars) 60
> > 9 Support Weapons 117
>
> Goin a little overboard with SW.

They are are good at what they do and in this combination
the infantry detachment has the same assault value as
it would if it instead had Orgyns or hellhounds as
supports.

> > Imperial Guard Infantry Detachment
> > 1 Detachment HQs (with captains) 57
> > 3 Imperial Guard Squads (with 3 commissars) 60
> > 3 Hellhounds 36
> >
> > Imperial Guard Tank Detachment
> > Detachment HQ (hellhound flame tank) 37
> > 5 Hellhound Flame Tanks 60
>
> I'd split these up. Not much use on thier own.

 Only one hellhound needs to be in close combat for
 the rest to have their fire power counted towards
 the close combat. This means that this detachment can used
 to support other detachments assaults even if only one
 hellhound in the detachment is in involved the
 assault.

> > Imperial Guard Artillery Detachment
> > Detachment HQ (siege artillery unit) 79
> > 2 Siege Artillery Units 108
> > 6 Heavy Artillery Units 246
> > 3 Hydra Flak Tanks 84
> >
> > Imperial Guard Rough Rider Squad
> > Detachments HQ (with captain & a primaris psyker
> > in a chrimera) 61
> > Detachments HQ (captain on a horse) 41
> > 6 Rough Rider Squad 60
>
> Add some Sentinals for support. They can keep up and add 1 FP to your
> assaults for only 8 points.

Sentinels however have assault value of one compared to an assault
value of two for rough riders. I already have enough fire power
provided by the infantry and artillery detachments.

I have however decided that the two HQs are to expensive.
See the modified detachment below.

 1 Detachment HQ (hellhound) 25
 5 Hellhound flame tanks 60
 6 Rough Rider Squads 60

I would use the remaining 17 points to add one hellhound
to the detachment which has only hellhounds in it.

> > Imperial Navy Interceptor Squadron
> > Detachment HQ 25
> > 3 Thunderbolts 90
> >
> > Total 1996