Re: [Epic] 2000pt 'ideal' IG Army

From: Aaron <akkala_at_...>
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 1998 08:36:24 -0600

Sean Smith wrote:

> > > Imperial Guard Infantry Detachment
> > > 1 Detachment HQs (with captains) 57
> > > 3 Imperial Guard Squads (with 3 commissars) 60
> > > 9 Support Weapons 117
> >
> > I'd make those guys Heavy Weapon and remove the commissars. They are not
> > going anywhere and are not so expensive that they are a "juicy" assault
> > target. Just keep em behind something.
> >

> I have disagree with you Aaron. The commissars have a save roll so they
> increase the survivability of the detachment as whole by being in the
> front rank. The only advantage heavy weapon units over normal IG is
> that they have 45cm instead of 30cm range. The disadvantage of
> heavy weapon units is that they have less survivability and the
> detachment has a lower break point because you have 1 unit instead
> of two. As for the mobility of the detachment, the support weapons
> range of45cm compensates for it to some degree, also I find you
> usually canmarch the detachment on turn one, other than that I find
> the additional assault value and anti-tank shoots are worth the
> trade off of less mobility.

It must be a style thing. I always seperate my 45cm range detachments
from my 30cm range detachments and keep the long range guys behind them.

> > > Imperial Guard Tank Detachment
> > > Detachment HQ (hellhound flame tank) 37
> > > 5 Hellhound Flame Tanks 60
> >
> > I'd split these up. Not much use on thier own.
>
> Only one hellhound needs to be in close combat for
> the rest to have their fire power counted towards
> the close combat. This means that this detachment can used
> to support other detachments assaults even if only one
> hellhound in the detachment is in involved the
> assault.

As I normally fight Orks, I'm more concerned with BEING assaulted than
assaulting. 5 Battlewagons could assault this detachment and you would
be hit 2 to 1. That why I add a couple of cheap units with it to spread
out the attacker.

                                Aaron