Re: [Epic] Titan weapon slots

From: Earl Corbin <earl_at_...>
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 1997 23:17:07 -0500

----------
> From: space-marine_at_...
> To: Earl
> Subject: Re: [Epic] Titan weapon slots
> Date: Wednesday, February 19, 1997 9:01 PM
>
> Excerpts from Epic: 19-Feb-97 RE: [Epic] Titan weapon slots by
John_at_...
> [snip -- see below]
> > Wake up.
>
> Let me deal with this first: I think you need to calm down a bit;
> tossing around insults on house rules is not a very good way to act,
> IMO. Maybe I need to as well, in this case, but that snipe just riled
> me. 'Nuff said.
>
> Now then:
>
> > Think about guys - Carapace multi lasers are for titan defense there
short
> > range and no sv mod implies they are defense against infantry. Surely
you
> > are not suggesting that titans are only charged by infantry from the
rear.

> Certainly not. However, the rest of a Titan's weaponry is front 180
> (or, in AT rules, 135 degrees right/left or front 90 degrees) so having
> the CMLs cover the rear isn't such a stretch IMO. For that matter, I
> think the description in the Space Marine Battles book said they were
> rear 180. Unfortunately, I can't find my book; does anyone have a copy
> of that? (It might've actually just been in someone's tactics comments,
> in which case it isn't an actual ruling, but seeing if it's even there
> would be nice.)

I've checked both Space Marine Battles and Titan Legions. The text is the
same in both:

"CARAPACE MULTI-LASERS

"Warlords fighting in built-up areas are sometimes fitted with multi-lasers
on their rear banner mounting points to protect the Titan against infantry
assault. A Titan can mount up to two multi-lasers (one on each banner
mounting point). Carapace multi-lasers always fire in the First Fire phase
and have a range of 15cm with 2 attack dice each. A 5+ is required to hit.
 Carapace multi-lasers are destroyed if the area of the they are mounted on
is damaged in any way."

It doesn't explicitly say they are mounted in addition to the normal weapon
slots; it never says they are 360 or 180. Yet another poorly defined rule
in Epic. Is it fluff, or is it a rule? It's up to the players to decide,
again.

(Sorry for not including the whole of the message I'm quoting. I just
wanted to help out both parties involved. Hopefully this will stop an
argument.)

Earl Corbin
earl_at_...