Re: [Epic] (Off Topic) Quake 2

From: Los <los_at_...>
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 1998 11:51:10 -0800

Doug Veal wrote:

> I get as annoyed at GW as the next person over their strange marketing
>
> tactics and their incessant price rises but I have to wonder why you
> think
> that they are so bad for defending their products? Like it or not,
> Space
> Marines, Eldar, etc, the whole lot, all belong to GW. They have
> already

Doug,

I understand where you are coming from. However, this guy had no
intention of making any profit whatsoever on the TC. He did it just for
teh love of Quake and Warhammer and he wanted to release it as s TC to
the general public. There are many Quake TCs that have been taken from
games, movies whatsoever and been released to teh public. GW knowing
this falls into the category could just as well had said fine release it
as long as there's no profit made. Instead they are trying to make more
mney out of this small time guy, which basically means that the user
community will never get their hands on this excellent Quake TC. Instead
it will just die on the vine. It's really a shame for us.

I suppose they can do the same thing to me. I just wrote a 60+ page
short story that takes place in the Warhammer 40k universe. I posted it
on my web page. What's to stop them from saying, you can't post that
there? I do have a little blurb mentioning the story has terms which are
copywrited from GW. But still they could go and say take it down.

Kaar Rud Fillup has an excellent page called GW gateway. It's everything
about GW. It has many many hits against it. Suppose someone says they
want to put an ad on his page? Or help defray the cost? Is GW going to
shut him down or demand a piece of the pie?

I'm just saying that all this impacts what we the users end up with.
Most companies don't give a rats ass about such things. Infact they see
it as a GOOD thing because it gets their product outtheir and
advertised.

I'm not saying I disagree with you, but it's clear that some companies
are a little bit more anal on this matter than others, and noone is more
anal than Games Workshop.

Los