Re: [Epic] Assaulting, close combat and so on...

From: Luca Fazio <luca_fazio_at_...>
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 1998 09:28:13 +0000

On 17 Mar 98 at 4:54, Sean Smith wrote:

> > What do you think about E40's close combat system ??
> >
> > I like the ruleset but last night I was playing against Caos with my valiant
> > Space puppies and one of my assault detachments (with a nice 48 assault factor)
> > lost a close combat versus a 29 assault factor caos detachment (mostly hweapons
> > guys with some caos dreadnoughts... rampage, you know )..
> > So I had a nice detachment broken, 8 units lost and a crucial crossroad in the
> > unholy hands of Caos minions !!
> > I know... fate of war are beyond mortals' minds and die are, well..., die !!
> > Are you using some house rules to resolve your close combats or are you happy
> > with E40's rules ??
> >
> > However don't start another E40 vs 2nd Ed holy war, please ;-))))
> >

> Personally I think the E40k close combat rules are great. What
> you need to remeber is that Marines strength isn't close combat
> in E40k (through there not bad at it either).

I like E40k rules too, and I like how fast you can play a big game.
I don't have problem with cc rules, I'm curios about other people's feeling
about this rules section.
I agree with you about mobility as main weapon in Adeptus Astartes' hands but
sometime you must work out a close combat in order to take an objective.
Yes, I failed to support the assault with preliminary firepower... it is my
fault !!!

> that influences your die roll for close combat. Use fate cards

for now we are not playing with fate cards/emperor's tarots.
Do you like them ??
I don't like psychic fase in 40k so I don't use for now fate cards.

> and anti-weapons, that way you will inflict more blastmarkers. If
> possible get your CIC involved in the close combat, this will allow you
> to reroll your close combat die. When I play marines I put my CIC on a
> bike so that he has the mobility to join detachments in Close combat.

Interesting... I don't use a CiC for my army, we are playing battle too little
to involve CiC... but I'll try it in the next games.

> I hope that was helpful Luca.

Yes, thank you !

>If you want more comments specifically
> on how you could have improved situation in the particular battle your
> refer to in your post I suggest you post a battle report, with a GIF
> map attached if possible.

I'm working on a full battle report with a gif for turn, WD's style.
Have you seen my Warhammer 40.000 battle report on my homepage ??

Ciao,
Ciao,

Luca Fazio

http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/2085/

Please reply to luca_fazio_at_... address only, I have problem with my mail service !! Thank you !