Re: [Epic] paint removal (Here we go again)

From: Stephen Sheldon <stephes_at_...>
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 1998 13:54:54 -0800 (PST)

> Does anyone out there know how to remove old paint? I just purchased some
> old minis with atrocious paint jobs and I want to redo them. Does anyone
> know how to get rid of protective coatings, probably laquer?

First, if you are stripping plastic minis then you will probably have to
be alot more careful as a lot of the following melt plastic (plastic
should be soaked for 1 hour at a time).

Pine Sol(Or any pine cleaner with pine oil in it): Works well, smells
foul, is okay for plastic.

Brake fluid: Never tried it myself, but It is supposed to be great for
metal, but melts plastic.

Acetone (Nail polish remover): Works great on all types of paint, even
enamel, will melt plastic eventually, but if you are careful, you should
be okay.

Petrol: Tried it once, it wasn't good enough to justify the fumes.

Water: Sometimes if the miniature has had a poor priming job, water will
take the paint off.

Poly Clens (or another paint stripper): Works great, smells god awful and
melts plastic (and hands).

The process I reccomend is leave the figure submerged in cleaner of choice
(I use Pine-sol) for about a day, put cling film over the top of the
container to keep fumes to a minimum (and minimize evaporation).
Take the miniature out and to stop paint flicking, hold it under some
soapy water and scrub with a toothbrush, if soaked long enough the paint
falls off in one lump. To get the awkward parts, use a pin or sharp knife.
Steve

--
When you dream there are no rules, people can fly, anything can happen.
Sometimes, there's a moment as you're waking, that you become aware of