Re: [Epic] [E40k] (new to the list) Ramming & overruns??

From: Thane Morgan <thane_at_...>
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 1998 18:57:26 -0700

Steve Wik wrote:

> Hah! Here's where you're all hiding! At last I'm (mostly)free of
> alt.miniature.warhammer!!
>
> Anyway, I've just started playing E40k and absolutely love it! I've
> also collected all the old rule sets and suppliments to determine what
> set I want to use and I'm actually really happy with E40k.
>
> I was curious if anyone here has any ideas about how
> Ramming&Overruns/Stomp Attacks (ala 1st ed. SM/Titanicus) could be
> implemented in E40K? I tried my hand at a few silly attempts, but they
> didn't work so well. Or at all. The one that does almost work is just a
> straight 2D6 roll + armor, but looking at the vehicle stats made me
> realize that there's not much of a range so you might as well almost
> just roll 1D6 with the highest score winning, but that sucks so bad that
> you might as well not even bother (gee, do you suppose that's why they
> left ramming out of the rules?). The only part of my idea that I like
> was having the vehicles move 2D6cm in a random direction in the case of
> a tie or if the winner's score was only 1 or 2 higher than the loser's.
> (this makes it possible to have insane pile-ups of randomly crashing
> vehicles as each impact is handled as ANOTHER ram/overrun...etc. etc...,
> hee hee) and any impacts with solid terrain features like buildings and
> cliff-faces would destroy the vehicle on a 3+ on 1D6. (making it
> possible to win the ram/overrun and still lose the vehicle).
>
> I dunno, is this just stupid? I just like the idea of desperation
> ramming a battle fortress or titan (or infantry!) with my Rhinos once
> they've served their purpose or as a final gesture of frustration when
> destruction of my forces is imminent (a foolish waste, I'm sure, but
> hey, it'd sure be fun to try!)
>
> Steve

I think that the best method would be similiar to the distortion cannon;
roll higher than the movement divided by 5 to hit; maybe add 1 to the to
hit roll, as it would be easier to avoid the titan.

I wouldn't worry about the armor; anything actually stepped on by a
titan should be out of commission, even if the hull is intact; guns bent
, chassis crushed, etc.

The last thing maybe to consider is size; war engines must have 5+
wounds to crush vehicles, 4 and smaller can only crush infantry class
models.

War engines probably shouldn't be able to stomp other war engines; that
would be CC as normal.

Thane